Female clarkii with no mate egg bound?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,727
Reaction score
33,715
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title asks? I've had a female clarkii for a couple of years with no mate. She is doing poorly and I don't expect her to pull through. Rapid breathing, very lathargic, not eating, very swollen / bloated to the point her eyes are bulging and scales lifting. I'm not sure if a single female can develop eggs or if she may be constipated. I'm tempted to euthanize her because I don't see a positive outcome but thought I would ask here first.

This is how bloated she is.
PXL_20250118_174701173.jpg


And video showing her accelerated respiration.



EDIT : I forgot to add emergency to the title
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 any oppinoins
 
Last edited:
Poor fish. Is it possible this is just age related if you've had her a long time?

Best of luck here!
 
Poor fish. Is it possible this is just age related if you've had her a long time?

Best of luck here!
She was small when I got her so she's probably only 3ish years old so I doubt it's age related. I'm not optimistic but figure I owe it to her to at least see if there's hope before I euthanize her.

EDIT : #fishmedics
 
Last edited:
As the title asks? I've had a female clarkii for a couple of years with no mate. She is doing poorly and I don't expect her to pull through. Rapid breathing, very lathargic, not eating, very swollen / bloated to the point her eyes are bulging and scales lifting. I'm not sure if a single female can develop eggs or if she may be constipated. I'm tempted to euthanize her because I don't see a positive outcome but thought I would ask here first.

This is how bloated she is.
PXL_20250118_174701173.jpg


And video showing her accelerated respiration.



EDIT : I forgot to add emergency to the title
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 any oppinoins

With the dropsy effect, can be egg bound or constipated. Is it breathing normal or heavy and is it eating?
 
Breathing appears very rapid compared to normal she has not eaten in a few days.
Not eating in a few days, the fish should have lost weight. Now that I see your clown on a larger screen, it appears to be liver failure and a condition known as ascites as the bloating is more anterior than it would be if it were eggs in the ovaries. The rapid breathing is a sign of systemic disease such as gill flukes
 
As the title asks? I've had a female clarkii for a couple of years with no mate. She is doing poorly and I don't expect her to pull through. Rapid breathing, very lathargic, not eating, very swollen / bloated to the point her eyes are bulging and scales lifting. I'm not sure if a single female can develop eggs or if she may be constipated. I'm tempted to euthanize her because I don't see a positive outcome but thought I would ask here first.

This is how bloated she is.
PXL_20250118_174701173.jpg


And video showing her accelerated respiration.



EDIT : I forgot to add emergency to the title
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 any oppinoins


Ugh - The swelling, protruding scales and bulging eyes all point to fluid build up (edema). This is due to kidney or liver failure. As with people, there really isn't a medication treatment for this (organ transplants with people are needed).

Did this build gradually, over days/weeks?

With it not eating, I would consider euthanasia.
 
Ugh - The swelling, protruding scales and bulging eyes all point to fluid build up (edema). This is due to kidney or liver failure. As with people, there really isn't a medication treatment for this (organ transplants with people are needed).

Did this build gradually, over days/weeks?

With it not eating, I would consider euthanasia.
I have to be honest Jay I know for a fact several days but it could be longer. I did a tank transfer recently and that's when I noticed it but she has never been an active fish and watching her sit in her nem all day was less than exciting so I really haven't spent as much time watching her tank as I have the others. I'll proceed with euthanasia as I believe its the least we can do for animals in our care that are suffering with no hope of recovery. Thanks for everyone's help.
 
I have to be honest Jay I know for a fact several days but it could be longer. I did a tank transfer recently and that's when I noticed it but she has never been an active fish and watching her sit in her nem all day was less than exciting so I really haven't spent as much time watching her tank as I have the others. I'll proceed with euthanasia as I believe its the least we can do for animals in our care that are suffering with no hope of recovery. Thanks for everyone's help.

Sorry! If you want more info on euthanasia, here is a post:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-euthanasia.979258/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new