Female clown on sandbed rapid breathing.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a video she is eating like a champ. She doesn't have clamped fins. Doesn't have color loss. Doesn't have aggression towards her from other fish. My parameters are 10-15ppm nitrate. 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite. Temp 78 salinity 1.025-10.26

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I posted a video she is eating like a champ. She doesn't have clamped fins. Doesn't have color loss. Doesn't have aggression towards her from other fish. My parameters are 10-15ppm nitrate. 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite. Temp 78 salinity 1.025-10.26
Meant to ask - are both gills equally affected?

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's on both sides. But it seems as if it's the actual gills coming out from under the plate as if they are inflamed

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a mucus or anything any maybe it seems orangish yellowish because of the blue lights but she is definitely breathing faster than normal and was sitting on the sand bed but once I put the live brine in tank she went to chasing them and eating

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not a mucus or anything any maybe it seems orangish yellowish because of the blue lights but she is definitely breathing faster than normal and was sitting on the sand bed but once I put the live brine in tank she went to chasing them and eating
The problem is there can be numerous causes for this. Bacteria, flukes, cryptocaryon, brooklynella, etc etc. Since the fish does not really have symptoms of brooklynella (yet) - or cryptocaryon - or velvet per se - I would concentrate on a bacterial infection or a fluke infection - with a strong consideration of an early stage of one of the other 3.

As @jay hemal and @vetteguy53081 have mentioned - a freshwater dip may be beneficial - especially if you see flukes in the container after. I would strongly consider a trial of Reef Rally Pro - which should be used in a hospital tank. It will handle most of the potential issues. https://rubyreef.com/products/rally-pro?variant=32148800667682

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can adjust the lights on your Prime. Assuming you have saved your current lighting profile (if not then save it) then go into control section and bump up the whites (and lower the blue if you have to) then put it back to your original profile or just manually adjust it back to where you had the settings before.

The problem with doing pics/video under blue is that colours will change so when you say something "orange" it might not be orange but another colour and the blue light has altered it. Plus it's easier to tell if it's mucus or something else under white light.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can adjust the lights on your Prime. Assuming you have saved your current lighting profile (if not then save it) then go into control section and bump up the whites (and lower the blue if you have to) then put it back to your original profile or just manually adjust it back to where you had the settings before.

The problem with doing pics/video under blue is that colours will change so when you say something "orange" it might not be orange but another colour and the blue light has altered it. Plus it's easier to tell if it's mucus or something else under white light.
My assumption is that in any case it is gill inflammation - and no matter what color it appears - there is no easy way to differentiate between the causes with that symptom. But - You're absolutely correct Karen - most people do not know they can temporarily adjust their lighting - without changing the whole program.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My assumption is that in any case it is gill inflammation - and no matter what color it appears - there is no easy way to differentiate between the causes with that symptom. But - You're absolutely correct Karen - most people do not know they can temporarily adjust their lighting - without changing the whole program.
Sadly your assumption is most likely correct. Gill always points to something that needs to be taken care of. Hopefully in this case it's something confined to the clown and easy resolved with some medication.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you haven’t yet done so, try that FW dip which often offers temporary relief

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to catch her and now she is even more stressed and is now hiding in the back corner really breathing heavy now. I'm just going to keep and eye on her. Il try and catch her again in the morning or maybe tonight while she is sleeping and do the 5 minute FW dip.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She has ate both times I put live baby brine in the tank and she was swimming around normal and chasing them. Still fins are not clamped she has not lost any colour she is still showing dominance towards other clown

Back