Female Clownfish

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!
I have a question for you: At what size (in your experience) do male clownfish become females? I can’t seem to find any kind of an answer.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe post above me is true. My pair are barely larger than 1” and there is a definite female. I don’t think this is set in stone until they’re older now, as this ‘female’ would probably become male should I introduce a larger clown. 100% sure that when they reach max size/spawning age that a ‘female’ cannot be a male. Males may always transfer into females.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - size doesn’t matter. Once one establishes dominance it will become female. I’m pretty sure they can go from male to female, but a female can’t go back to a male. Once full grown a female will be bigger then a full grown male, but I do Not think size has to do with when they change. Hope this helps.
HAPPY REEFING!

swiss1939

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the game of thrones. Smaller males constantly challenging the female to become dominant. If they are big and strong enough, and the female weak enough, they will become dominant and eventually become female. Female tries to harass them to keep them from switching through keeping them submissive and hence preventing the hormones that switch. This is why it's suggested when getting two, or adding one to make sure the new or second one is much smaller. Prevents toxic aggression that leads to death.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back