Female snowflake Male Maroon

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting any clear answers all i keep getting is Maroon are aggressive (obvious). Ive been into saltwater maybe 6 months. Breeding clowns is a huge interest. Have bred various(even hard to breed freshwater). I purchased a few baby clowns of different colors. The snowflake is a hair bigger and is obviously the dominant of the 3 in that tank(2 other maroon). The 1 maroon follows it non stop as if the have paired. 0 aggression. If these 2 were to truly be paired and nothing changes. Would the male maroon become so aggressive it later messes with the female? Or would they just be paired and be good? Obviously time will tell and would get moved but not sure how the maroon aggression would work if the other non maroon was female?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I understand the frustration. All females are not necessarily aggressive but rather in many cases the aggressor when it comes to hierarch. I have 9 clowns and 3 breeding pairs of the 9 that get along just fine. MAYBE an occasional squabble.
Now I will say, maroon have bitten me several times and can be a jerk with new arrivals but give it its own zone and it’s a great and colorful fish
Tomato clown- that’s a monster

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting any clear answers all i keep getting is Maroon are aggressive (obvious). Ive been into saltwater maybe 6 months. Breeding clowns is a huge interest. Have bred various(even hard to breed freshwater). I purchased a few baby clowns of different colors. The snowflake is a hair bigger and is obviously the dominant of the 3 in that tank(2 other maroon). The 1 maroon follows it non stop as if the have paired. 0 aggression. If these 2 were to truly be paired and nothing changes. Would the male maroon become so aggressive it later messes with the female? Or would they just be paired and be good? Obviously time will tell and would get moved but not sure how the maroon aggression would work if the other non maroon was female?
That's a good question, and iirc there has never been a maroon cross where the pair were both purebreds and were together (as opposed to accidental fertilizing in a shared aquatic system).

Generally among the aggressive species, the male are still submissive anyways, so it is possible the maroon would be submissive to the snowflake.

Dunno if that will definitely be the case, but certainly would be interesting to see. Keep us updated! :D

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree as far as how the mix would come out if they do breed. Would be awesome. I guess i wasn't sure if the maroon would outgrow and become more dominant or if it would stay male once set and just submit even if it outgrew the snowflake?

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question, and iirc there has never been a maroon cross where the pair were both purebreds and were together (as opposed to accidental fertilizing in a shared aquatic system).

Generally among the aggressive species, the male are still submissive anyways, so it is possible the maroon would be submissive to the snowflake.

Dunno if that will definitely be the case, but certainly would be interesting to see. Keep us updated! :D
I agree that would be an awesome mix. So 2 maroon have never paired and bred? 2 tomato? Really lost me there lol

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maroons cross wont pair and breed? Explain ease

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Percula breed most easily. Buy six and nem and you'll get a pair!

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a occellaris snowflake or percula In With maroon clowns this will likely not work out. Maroons are aggressive. As far as breeding goes its kind of like asking if a dog will breed with a cat.

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a occellaris snowflake or percula In With maroon clowns this will likely not work out. Maroons are aggressive. As far as breeding goes its kind of like asking if a dog will breed with a cat.
So it wouldn't work out even if the maroon was smaller and male? Why?

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its obviously happened because there are mixes
Ive never seen or heard of one. I was told that it isn't possible. There's maroon clowns, lightning maroon clowns, gold nugget maroon clowns, gold strip maroon clowns. But there all maroon clowns.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work especially if they are already a pair, but clownfish pairs can turn on eachother at any time. If the snowflake female is huge(3+ inches) and the maroon was tiny I would maybe attempt it

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen or heard of one. I was told that it isn't possible. There's maroon clowns, lightning maroon clowns, gold nugget maroon clowns, gold strip maroon clowns. But there all maroon clowns.
Mai tai clownfish or blood orange clownfish are examples of the cross between the two species. They were accidental cross fertilized though and not from a pair of clownfish by my recall. Meaning there was no occellaris or percula (or anything) paired with a maroon to produce it, most likely some sperm made it to another clutch

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA has had a lot of hybrid clownfish over the years: https://www.orafarm.com/blog/2011/06/17/mystery-clownfish/

It is definitely possible. Also because clownfish are very closely related genetically. It is less akin to crossing a dog and cat, and more say a dog and a coyote - which is also entirely possible.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that would be an awesome mix. So 2 maroon have never paired and bred? 2 tomato? Really lost me there lol
I guess I should clarify when I say cross, I meant an interspecies cross. I thought it was obvious from the context. :3

But anyways, there has been interspecies crosses, just that it was accidental where the sperm of a male of one species seemed to have been dispersed through a breeding system and ended up fertilizing the eggs laid by individuals of another species.

When this occured for ORA, they also tried pairing up hybrids and found the hybrids paired up pretty easily, but a hybrid pairing up with a purebred of one of the two parent's species did not work out so well.

So yeah, it just seems like while genetically it is entirely fine, the actual mating process itself may be a bit more difficult.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mai tai clownfish or blood orange clownfish are examples of the cross between the two species. They were accidental cross fertilized though and not from a pair of clownfish by my recall. Meaning there was no occellaris or percula (or anything) paired with a maroon to produce it, most likely some sperm made it to another clutch
Yea I questioned myself a bit after saying not possible. Ill change my answer to to extremely not probably. Been looking things up and there have been some rare crossbreeds of some species. Just don't want to get the op's hopes up and lead in the wrong direction breeding clownfish is already difficult.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA has had a lot of hybrid clownfish over the years: https://www.orafarm.com/blog/2011/06/17/mystery-clownfish/

It is definitely possible. Also because clownfish are very closely related genetically. It is less akin to crossing a dog and cat, and more say a dog and a coyote - which is also entirely possible.
More like a bernese mountain dog and a chihuahua trying to mate, can it happen genetically sure, but the physics of it are way off. Obv easier for fish but the maroons might not tolerate it long term. Again i dont think anyone will have a definitive answer like this wont work period. Just really riskier, I would remove the 3rd maroon in the situation though as they will probably start to murder it

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt any time a maroon happen to mix with something (which would obviously produce some maroon) make Sense to be called maroon
It could work especially if they are already a pair, but clownfish pairs can turn on eachother at any time. If the snowflake female is huge(3+ inches) and the maroon was tiny I would maybe attempt it
Thats what i was wondering. Figured someone in the world of saltwater has ans is doing this lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back