OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a bernese mountain dog and a chihuahua trying to mate, can it happen genetically sure, but the physics of it are way off. Obv easier for fish but the maroons might not tolerate it long term. Again i dont think anyone will have a definitive answer like this wont work period. Just really riskier, I would remove the 3rd maroon in the situation though as they will probably start to murder it
I definitely planned on that soon just waiting on tank to cycle.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt any time a maroon happen to mix with something (which would obviously produce some maroon) make Sense to be called maroon

Thats what i was wondering. Figured someone in the world of saltwater has ans is doing this lol
No they look different and have different genetics from a maroon. It like a mule is part donkey and part horse but a mix.
No one wants to attempt it as it can lean toward animal cruelty, although unintentional, if we put the animal in an unfavorable situation its definitely not the best

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen or heard of one. I was told that it isn't possible. There's maroon clowns, lightning maroon clowns, gold nugget maroon clowns, gold strip maroon clowns. But there all maroon clowns.
Another comment on this page said 2 maroons wont pair so this is getting interesting

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mai tai clownfish or blood orange clownfish are examples of the cross between the two species. They were accidental cross fertilized though and not from a pair of clownfish by my recall. Meaning there was no occellaris or percula (or anything) paired with a maroon to produce it, most likely some sperm made it to another clutch
Now thats becoming a lil more helpful ty

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like a bernese mountain dog and a chihuahua trying to mate, can it happen genetically sure, but the physics of it are way off. Obv easier for fish but the maroons might not tolerate it long term. Again i dont think anyone will have a definitive answer like this wont work period. Just really riskier, I would remove the 3rd maroon in the situation though as they will probably start to murder it
Ill check that link out

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt any time a maroon happen to mix with something (which would obviously produce some maroon) make Sense to be called maroon
Not really, no.

You are correct that the offspring has 'some maroon' in it, but then think about it.

By that logic, something that is an offspring of an ocellaris and something else should be called an 'ocellaris' right, because it also contains some occy in it.

Then what if it's a maroon x ocellaris mix? Well, labeling it one or the other would be rather misleading.

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, no.

You are correct that the offspring has 'some maroon' in it, but then think about it.

By that logic, something that is an offspring of an ocellaris and something else should be called an 'ocellaris' right, because it also contains some occy in it.

Then what if it's a maroon x ocellaris mix? Well, labeling it one or the other would be rather misleading.
Good point. I just assumed maroons would come out of it as well ‍♂️. No clue just questions. I just figured someone in the saltwater world has paired the combo. Maybe it is just sperm floating to the next eggs and thats the answer ‍♂️

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for those who are keen to know more about this, there are natural clownfish hybrids in the wild: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11033-019-05190-y

The above study followed a previous 2015 one (iirc). Long story short, seems like this is a result of actual mating between two different species (Amphiprion sandaracinos and Amphiprion chrysopterus) that are relatively distantly related to each other. 'Relative' here because well, all clownfish probably belong to the same genus anyways, including the maroon clownfish: https://watermark.silverchair.com/i2766-1520-109-1-258.pdf, so if these two species can hybridize, and given what we have seen come from ORA, then yeah clownfish most likely readily hybridize - at least when it comes to genetic compatibility. Oh and yes, google these two species. You'll see they look nothing alike lol. :3

Importantly, the hybrid offsprings also seem to be fertile as well.

So back to this story. Maroons, occys, and percs actually are pretty closely related to each other, more so to other clownfish. There's a nifty phylogenetic tree available here: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2017.1796 if anyone is interested.

P.S. I do want to end this with a note - phylogenetic analysis of eukaryotes is not... exactly easy for a number of reasons. So things can shift around, but yeah the above info that I provided is unlikely to be significantly altered in the future given how often it has been established through different studies.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its a occellaris snowflake or percula In With maroon clowns this will likely not work out. Maroons are aggressive. As far as breeding goes its kind of like asking if a dog will breed with a cat.
Not true. These are all clowns and there are hybrids of prec/maroons. Its more like a domestic dog / wolf or coyote/wolf.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I just assumed maroons would come out of it as well ‍♂️. No clue just questions. I just figured someone in the saltwater world has paired the combo. Maybe it is just sperm floating to the next eggs and thats the answer ‍♂️
There's been pairings. Sustainable aquatics had percs/maroon hybrids up for sale more than a few times

OP
OP
M

Mystoryman.330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for those who are keen to know more about this, there are natural clownfish hybrids in the wild: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11033-019-05190-y

The above study followed a previous 2015 one (iirc). Long story short, seems like this is a result of actual mating between two different species (Amphiprion sandaracinos and Amphiprion chrysopterus) that are relatively distantly related to each other. 'Relative' here because well, all clownfish probably belong to the same genus anyways, including the maroon clownfish: https://watermark.silverchair.com/i2766-1520-109-1-258.pdf, so if these two species can hybridize, and given what we have seen come from ORA, then yeah clownfish most likely readily hybridize - at least when it comes to genetic compatibility. Oh and yes, google these two species. You'll see they look nothing alike lol. :3

Importantly, the hybrid offsprings also seem to be fertile as well.

So back to this story. Maroons, occys, and percs actually are pretty closely related to each other, more so to other clownfish. There's a nifty phylogenetic tree available here: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2017.1796 if anyone is interested.

P.S. I do want to end this with a note - phylogenetic analysis of eukaryotes is not... exactly easy for a number of reasons. So things can shift around, but yeah the above info that I provided is unlikely to be significantly altered in the future given how often it has been established through different studies.
Ty. I will read about this

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20211209-151522_Chrome.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't what your all on about, but I have a female osc, and a male lighting maroon. They want nothing to do with each other, and the maroon actually bullies the female osc.

I knew they wouldn't pair up, but seeing as the female osc was dominant, and much larger. I figured they would at least work it out so they could coexist.

Well they have for the most part. The maroon leaves the osc alone as long as it stays in it's corner. And the osc leaves the maroon alone as long as the osc doesn't get near it's host(elegance coral). The larger the maroon gets, the more bold he gets, and the more bullying I'm seeing. May actually have to rehome the maroon.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats cool and all but i want to try to mix. My thoughts are if i have any color female(besides maroon) and pair a male of another color(even maroon) i shouldnt have issues correct?
I've read about mixing. Some of the clowns folks buy now are hybrids. I know from experience a true percula and a false will breed. The babies have lesser black stripes and aren't as bossy as percula. Good luck with it. I had to hatch and feed rotifers and powdered flakes to the fry. I'm sure you can buy stuff now. Raising the babies to a half inch is the tough part. It's worth it to watch them maintain the eggs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back