Fenbendazole for xenia control?

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anybody here has tried using fenbendazole for killing xenia? If so, can you please share your experience with it!

OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not the same ingredients but can't find any fluke tabs. Saw one mention of someone using this so was hoping there might be others that may have tried it too....

May just have to experiment with it.....

Sent Via the R2RAPP

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started yesterday using fenbendazole (Safe-guard) 2g packets from petco

I mixed 1 packet into 1 gallon of RODI water and pured in half gallon. About 14 hours in it seems like even with the lights off this morning all the xenia looks wilted. This is about 20 min after the initial dose

I'll have an entire write up if this stuff works.

Duffam3434

**TASTE THE RAINBOW**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that stuff only attacks Xenia? Did you think of trying Aiptsia-X? I've heard that works well for Xenia. Hope it works for you!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep us updated.

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of right now the Xenia is really ****** off. I haven't really been home when the lights are on but will have a better chance to get a decent picture tomorrow.

OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, I iused the liquid safeguard and put some rocks in a brute can ..... dosed it for almost a week and it made the xenia pout and sulk but did not completely kill them off. So, I switched to heavy doses of hydrogen peroxide and within a couple days it was gone. I tried dosing it the tank for the rocks that I couldn't remove, however, and at a "safe" dose for a week - did not kill it either.

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is 48 hours in. I also added a 2nd dose of about half strength from the initial dose.

Last edited:

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could pull my rock out but with the way the corals are situated it wasnt feasible.

All SPS look fine, changed all 3 skimmer cups which were full, changed GFO, and also new carbon (running very heavy)

Going to check all params tonight or tomorrow morning. I had a unexpected death in the family so I will do it as I have time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could pull my rock out but with the way the corals are situated it wasnt feasible.

All SPS look fine, changed all 3 skimmer cups which were full, changed GFO, and also new carbon (running very heavy)

Going to check all params tonight or tomorrow morning. I had a unexpected death in the family so I will do it as I have time.

I couldn't pull all my rocks out either - but was too chicken to try dosing the whole tank so I pulled out the ones I could to experiment with. Figured if it worked well then I would try it with my 90 gallon first - then if successful try it in my 300 since I can't pull out hardly any of the rocks in that one! The xenia got a little worse looking than your last picture - but I just couldn't get it completely eradicated. I'll be following along to see if you are more successful!

Sorry to hear about your loss.

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long update.

Xenia is completely gone, no sign of them ever being there. Although I do have quite the cyano bloom but Im guessing thats attributed to the xenia mass dieoff.

OP
OP
KSzegi

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats awesome, tank looks great!! Did you dose any more after the initial half gallon and then the 2nd dose? No problems with any of the other corals or inverts? I may try the Safeguard again on my 90 gallon - and apparently increase the dose quite a bit. I was only using about 50mg/gallon.

I do, however, think I am winning the battle over the xenia in my 300. Today is day 8 of dosing hydrogen peroxide and it is 99% gone ...... just a few little 'nubs' remaining. As of today it is looking like I'm going to be getting quite the cyano bloom too ..... but once the xenia is gone I will be happy to deal with getting rid of the cyano!!

dryad001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no other dosing.

I'm going to get more turbos since they all died during the dosing. Still seem to have Ceriths though

Amateur Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this a 7 year old post, but I am in the midst of trying the same thing. I am using ThomasLabs' Fish Bendazole packets. My Xenia are definitely mad and all shriveled, but they are not disappearing. I've used about 1 gram of Fenbendazole mixed with some water. Put it in the tank Saturday.

Anyone else have any luck with this method?

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this a 7 year old post, but I am in the midst of trying the same thing. I am using ThomasLabs' Fish Bendazole packets. My Xenia are definitely mad and all shriveled, but they are not disappearing. I've used about 1 gram of Fenbendazole mixed with some water. Put it in the tank Saturday.

Anyone else have any luck with this method?
They are starting to take over my bigger tank, every day I see more and they’re starting to get onto some of my frag‘s? If anybody knows the solution to getting rid of these I’m all ears. I’m debating on whether to take the rocks out which would be a huge process but these things have to go

Attachments

• DB427E02-D563-4780-9651-9ACAD6D28FC2.jpeg
    DB427E02-D563-4780-9651-9ACAD6D28FC2.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 63CB5C24-8625-4C86-AF52-82D46A0E94C6.jpeg
    63CB5C24-8625-4C86-AF52-82D46A0E94C6.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 27

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back