Fess Up - Time to Confess your Sins

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
12,348
Reaction score
25,594
Location
Sayreville, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should have titled this “Do as I say, and not as I do.” What things do you do that you shouldn’t be doing? I’ll start with two of mine:
  1. Testing alkalinity and calcium. I dose two-part with dosing pumps and don’t have one of those fancy-pants auto tester/doser. If I wish to know my levels I need to take out the test kits and measure. When I first started, like a good little boy, I tested with great frequency. As time passed, and little to nothing changed, time between testing kept on stretching longer and longer. Now I only test if something isn’t looking good…..months (and it might actually be a year since I’ve last tested). Don’t tell anybody.
  1. Water Changes. Originally did 10% water changes every week. After 5 or so years I switched to 20-25% twice a month….much more manageable. Recently, in part from being lazy, I’ll do maybe only one 20-25% change per month….and here’s the kicker….my tank has never looked better.
I will repeat what I originally said, especially for newbies….Do as I say, no as I do.
 
I’m currently battling some mild hair algae and in addition to the usual lowering nutrients, feeding less, less light, CUC, etc, I’m using . . . . . . . Algaefix.


Sorry I Apologize GIF
 
Definitely was using chemicals like neo nitrate and phosphate to raise my parameters, rather than simply feeding more or properly testing my tank.
 
I dont test levels, I just dose AFR
I dont quarantine
I dont do water changes but I have an ATO with fresh RO

;)
 
I never did a water change one time on my 40 oz pico tank... I also only checked salinity maybe 3-4 times. Topping off every 2-3 days was the extent of maintnence.

What Did I Say Spill The Tea GIF by TLC Europe
I Didnt GIF by Ovation TV


That little tank was a magical paradise of all kinds of little goodies that thrived for almost 2 years, until I tore it down (if you can tear down a 40 oz tank?) because of a move. Would I do that again? No, probably not. But did it work out for that tank? Oh yes!
 
I probably should have titled this “Do as I say, and not as I do.” What things do you do that you shouldn’t be doing? I’ll start with two of mine:
  1. Testing alkalinity and calcium. I dose two-part with dosing pumps and don’t have one of those fancy-pants auto tester/doser. If I wish to know my levels I need to take out the test kits and measure. When I first started, like a good little boy, I tested with great frequency. As time passed, and little to nothing changed, time between testing kept on stretching longer and longer. Now I only test if something isn’t looking good…..months (and it might actually be a year since I’ve last tested). Don’t tell anybody.
  2. Water Changes. Originally did 10% water changes every week. After 5 or so years I switched to 20-25% twice a month….much more manageable. Recently, in part from being lazy, I’ll do maybe only one 20-25% change per month….and here’s the kicker….my tank has never looked better.
I will repeat what I originally said, especially for newbies….Do as I say, no as I do.
I’m terrible for water changes. I don’t do it unless I notice something isn’t happy. Could be 6 months between changes.

I don’t test as frequently as I should. I’m the same, nothing has changed, I might not test for 3-6 months.

I should do most husbandry to keep things in check honestly.
 
Definitely was using chemicals like neo nitrate and phosphate to raise my parameters, rather than simply feeding more or properly testing my tank.
What's wrong with that? I can't keep my nutrients elevated above zero unless I dose both. That's even with 7 times/day autofeeding.

I guess my reefing sin is that I haven't done a water change in over a year...but I also use RMS so I guess that atones. 🙃
 
Hhm, I dose AFR blind (meaning I don't test for calcium, Alkalinity or magnesium) because I hate to test. I can hear the gasps of horror! LOL In my defense my tank is predominantly a softie/macroalgae display so it doesnt use much of those elements. I use AFR because I also use regular IO salt which is low in the big three and I do have a few big LPS colonies and some calcareous macros that need some calcium. I figure if I am not growing much coraline algae that my numbers are not overly high ( an unlike a lot of reef keepers, I prefer not to have a lot of coraline algae that needs scraped off the glass or removed from the wavemakers.
 
As far as my tanks. I keep up on maintaining all six of them. I change at least 160 gallons of water a month, and clean filter socks and skimmers (every tank is separate) every three days. Testing is done as required. You could say it is another job for me, because that’s true. I have a reefing side biz, but am still a hobbyist.

What I don’t do is share enough of my knowledge and experience with others. Sometimes I think I don’t have more to say than most Reefers already know.
 
I add salt to the overflow to raise salinity.

I dropped some frozen mysis on the floor and let my dog clean it up.

I took some rocks out of the tank so I could catch a pajama cardinal with a cloudy eye, and in doing so killed another fish that was in the rocks hiding.

I bought another angel to go into the tank that already has 2. They’ll have to work it out themselves.

And all of this just this week too 🤣
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new