Figuring out a build

Mehlvis

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2021
Messages
46
Reaction score
65
Location
West Jordan
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends!

I recently acquired my first tank, used, and am trying to figure out what I need to get it up and running.

I have a 125 gal tank, 72”x18”x22”.
I have the sump, the stand and the UV that came with the tank.

I want to go with a mixed tank. Fish, softies and LPS.

I want to build my own NSA with overhangs, caves and islands for some of the corals I want.

I’m thinking of going with a 61” T5 light. I hope this is the correct size for my tank.

I’m also thinking of purposely building towards the apex controller. As such, I’m thinking of getting the apex pump.

I’m still up in the air on my power heads. I am attracted to the MP40s for ease af maintenance, looks and performance. The one reason I’m still hesitant is because I am thinking that I will want a couple of power heads on the back of the tank as well and I can’t use MP40s for those because they can only shoot straight forward.

Any suggestions on the build so far is welcome!
 
You are going to want an ATO for sure.
For returns I use sea swirls and used them in my old 125. Maybe see if thats workable for your tank.
 
You are going to want an ATO for sure.
For returns I use sea swirls and used them in my old 125. Maybe see if thats workable for your tank.
That’s an awesome suggestion, thanks for the feedback!
 
Ok, I’ve made some decisions on my build.

Power heads:
I will use 2 MP40s as these should provide enough flow

Lighting:
61” Aquatic Life T5HO with 4 AI primes.
(I will be experimenting with the T5 lights to find what I like. Likely 2 Blue+ with 2 other bulbs.)

Skimmer:
Simplicity DC240

Pump:
Apex 20 core (I’m hoping to eventually build to an apex controller)

Heater:
2 Finnex HMX-300 300 watt heaters (1 as a back up set 2 degrees cooler)

ATO:
Tunze osmolator (easy adding of kalkwasser)

Any feedback is appreciated! Thoughts on build or items I may want to consider?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new