Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 69 40.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 84 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to emulate a sunlit reef bommie in my home but not successful so far. Not sure whether the tank is too small (30 gallon), suboptimal rock/coral placement or the light spectrum is too artificial (14k)

Daiconan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked for Hydor in the technical department more than five years ago, and that's when everything "clicked" for me. Being surrounded by reef tanks in the office was amazing. I now have a little 20-gallon waterbox, but I look forward to upgrading soon to a 65.4 waterbox. I love to study everything before buying new corals or products, and it is a beautiful (and sadly) expensive hobby, but oh boy, it's worth it! My passion has only grown over time!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. This is me on the right with my main squeeze then, in about 1950. I had fish then and still have them now, not sure why, but I don't think I have any of the same fish from then. I am probably trying to talk Georgia to come amphipod collecting with me in my Dads 1947 Pontiac. :thinking-face:

Last edited:

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this hobby feeling like everyone was against me. People telling me at every turn and I quote “I don’t think Reefing is for you.”
I barely had money when I started, I spent everything I had and lived paycheck to paycheck buying the industry standard in the highest quality Reefing equipment mind you unnecessarily, I found employment in the industry due to my unbridled passion and enthusiasm to learn and grow as much as I could in the hobby which also helped a lot in funding the hobby with discounted coral and equipment.
Reefing to me is almost like playing an instrument in that I can look at my aquarium and just captivate my total attention, where everything else becomes irrelevant.
I still am poor as hell but this hobby almost feels like a potential way out of this rut I’m in.
Propagating coral, fragging and such may be quite a niche but it’s I feel at least an option for me in terms of a career path.
Thank you for reading <3

ninjafish710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me originally it evolved from always having a fresh water tank as a kid and in my own home as an adult. Kept dreaming of doing the reef tank. Spent about 12 years in the hobby. Started with a 55, real quickly realized I wanted to go with 120. Life happened, didn’t have the time or will to keep up with it. Broke it down and sold everything. Recently dealing with self growth and knowing myself better I’ve come to know my brain needs something to concentrate on or it’ll run a muck, lol. Reefing there’s always something to read, learn, and attempt something new. Tanks are always evolving. I am in the planning stage of a new 140 from planet aquarium. Plumbing it down to the basement to have a fish room with space for a large sump and space to do more down there.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
recently had to abruptly tear down my 3yr old tank. thanks to @Reefer_kano my fish and corals(and rock) have a home in his tank until i can get back on my feet and have time and space for a new tank. was a blow to the gut and wallet, but i'll be back better than ever!

Reefer_kano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently had to abruptly tear down my 3yr old tank. thanks to @Reefer_kano my fish and corals(and rock) have a home in his tank until i can get back on my feet and have time and space for a new tank. was a blow to the gut and wallet, but i'll be back better than ever!
I got you bro, once you get settle and able to set back up, we'll get you up and running again

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally thought i was starting a salt water "fish tank" with some coral, but now realize i'm a coral farmer who has some fish :) Also, i really enjoy trying to dial things in, overcoming nunerous problems (algae, parameters, disease, etc) by meticulously working to solve these and not taking it too hard when i fail... which is often but less and less as time goes by

IMG_4645.jpeg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the girls… chics dig aquarium nerds. Sound strategy that will someday pay off if I keep at it.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the girls… chics dig aquarium nerds. Sound strategy that will someday pay off if I keep at it.
Yeah, but they really like Aquarium Nerds that make Steam Punk fish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 72 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 9.0%
Back