[Fiji Cube 32] The Nano Jake Adams Aussie Reef Wall Tribute

habetm14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now’s as good a time as any.

Like probably many of you, I spent the pandemic going down a lot of strange YouTube rabbit holes. I’d watch videos about random hobbies and pursuits that I had zero intention of ever trying. Naturally, I found reefing videos and started watching Reef Builders.

I grew up with freshwater aquariums, but I didn’t even know reef aquariums were viable on the hobbyist level. I loved the videos, the taxonomy, the aquascaping, everything. Jake Adams was a tremendous host, and his passion was infectious for an interested newbie. I was completely hooked.

But I was a broke grad student that traveled frequently, so a reef tank wasn’t in the cards. For two plus years, I watched videos and tried to learn as much as I could.

Right around when Jake Adams sadly passed away, I took the plunge. I first set up a 10 gallon macroalgae tank, and then an Eshopps Deskmate. I absolutely fell in love with the hobby. I loved the attention to detail, the constant problem solving.

Finally, I am in a position to set up a more substantial tank, but I needed to 1) keep it relatively small, with an impending move next year, 2) keep it relatively affordable, and 3) find a coherent theme or concept versus a general mixed reef.

Even before Jake Adams passed, I noticed a lot of discussion and controversy surrounding the Aussie Reef Wall tank at the Reef Builders studio. It was an unusual and divisive aquascape. And in the year since, I’ve noticed how many times it has come up in various podcasts and articles when referencing his legacy. It was often referenced in retrospectives and tributes in light of his approach to reefing.

I also really struggled with the aquascape at first; however, I found myself consistently returning to the series of videos. I loved the defined theme, the unique angles. It finally struck a chord with me.

I don’t mean this to be a strange piece of fan fiction- I certainly never knew Jake, and don’t mean this introduction to be some form of worship. But his videos did inspire a new reefer to join the hobby, and I figured a nano homage to the Aussie Reef Wall tank would be a fitting goal.

This is not intended to be a copy; I have neither the abilities or the budget. It will not follow the same exact aquascape, and it will not be equipment and corals sourced from Australia exclusively. It will be a LPS only tank, though, and I hope you’ll follow along on this journey. I'll be upfront with the cost and document all the ups and downs.

I hope this is respectful to his family and friends; thank you, Jake.

Last edited:

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now’s as good a time as any.

Like probably many of you, I spent the pandemic going down a lot of strange YouTube rabbit holes. I’d watch videos about random hobbies and pursuits that I had zero intention of ever trying. Naturally, I found reefing videos and started watching Reef Builders.

I grew up with freshwater aquariums, but I didn’t even know reef aquariums were viable on the hobbyist level. I loved the videos, the taxonomy, the aquascaping, everything. Jake Adams was a tremendous host, and his passion was infectious for an interested newbie. I was completely hooked.

But I was a broke graduate student that traveled frequently, so a reef tank wasn’t in the cards. For two plus years, I watched videos and tried to learn as much as I could.

Right around when Jake Adams sadly passed away, I took the plunge. I first set up a 10 gallon macroalgae tank, and then an Eshopps Deskmate. I absolutely fell in love with the hobby. I loved the attention to detail, the constant problem solving.

Finally, I am in a position to set up a more substantial tank, but I needed to 1) keep it relatively small, with an impending move next year, 2) keep it relatively affordable, and 3) find a coherent theme or concept versus a general mixed reef.

Even before Jake Adams passed, I noticed a lot of discussion and controversy surrounding the Aussie Reef Wall tank at the Reef Builders studio. It was an unusual and divisive aquascape. And in the year since, I’ve noticed how many times it has come up in various podcasts and articles when referencing his legacy. It was often referenced in retrospectives and tributes in light of his approach to reefing.

I also really struggled with the aquascape at first; however, I found myself consistently returning to the series of videos. I loved the defined theme, the unique angles. It finally struck a chord with me.

I don’t mean this to be a strange piece of fan fiction- I certainly never knew Jake, and don’t mean this introduction to be some form of worship. But his videos did inspire a new reefer to join the hobby, and I figured a nano homage to the Aussie Reef Wall tank would be a fitting goal.

This is not intended to be a copy; I have neither the abilities or the budget. It will not follow the same exact aquascape, and it will not be equipment and corals sourced from Australia exclusively. It will be a LPS only tank, though, and I hope you’ll follow along on this journey. I'll be upfront with the cost and document all the ups and downs.

I hope this is respectful to his family and friends; thank you, Jake.
Just remember it can't have sand!!

OP
OP
H

habetm14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the rundown. I am a young professional on a limited budget, and wanted to document the true cost for any other interested prospective hobbyists. I had a $1000 stipend through my employer as a rough equipment budget, but didn’t want to exceed $1200-1400 on equipment at first.

I decided to go with a Fiji Cube 32 AIO. It approximates the dimensions of the Cade 900 in a way that is not available with other nano manufacturers.

• Tank: Fiji Cube 32 AIO ($399, on sale)
  • Stand: Homemade, free ($0)
  • Light: Illumagic Blaze Mini ($250 with gooseneck, on sale)
  • Return Pump: Stock ($0, would like to replace in the future)
  • Flow: Jaebo SLW-5 and Hygger Mini ($110)
  • Filtration: Tunze 9001 Nano Skimmer (not installed yet; a want, not a need. $115, on sale.)
  • ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator ($98, on sale)
  • Heater: Eheim Jager 100W ($20; may replace in the future)
  • Rock: 22 lbs of Marco Rock Shelf and Hybrid ($100, on sale)
  • Substrate: Two Little Fishies Reborn ($34, on sale)
  • Misc. supplements: All For Reef, $20, MB7, $8, Stone Fix: $15
  • Salt: Tropic Marin Reef Pro, may switch to Aquaforest products in the future.

Grand Total: $1170

Wants: a dosing pump, an improved return pump, a better heater.

IMG_6695 2.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_6673.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

I went with a mix of Marco Rock Shelf and Hybrid Rock; it looks like a lot, but probably 18-20 LBs actually made it into a 28-30 gallon tank.

I also went with Reborn reactor media as a substrate. I didn’t want to go bare bottom with a nano, but I’ve also found maintaining a sand bed incredibly annoying. I think the Reborn works with the aesthetic, plus I went with only a thin layer, around 6 LBs.

Stocking:

I certainly don’t have the same access or budget with corals, but this will be an LPS only tank.

• I envision it being Micromussa dominant, with many lords, amakusensis, and pacifica. I already have a dozen pieces ready.
  • One of the major differences is I would like to add chalices to the vertical wall. I am planning to add some classic morphs (Miami Hurricane, Pink Boo bies, Mummy Eyes, etc.)
  • I would also like to add a few Scolys, as budget allows. I am looking for options.
  • I also plan to fill out the branches with a variety of Hammers and Gonis, preferably Australian.
  • I'd like to add a few Wilsonis, Trachys, and possibly Wellsos to the substrate bed.
  • Finally, once the tank is established, I would like to find an Australian Gold Torch as a showpiece. I will need to find one that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. And hopefully doesn’t die quickly.

I am also open to all ideas and suggestions; please let me know.

Fish:

I am not in this for the fish. That said, I have three main wants: 1) Swalesi and/or Cave Basslet, 2) Golden Assessor, and 3) Pink Streaked Wrasse. Other than that, I’d like to keep it minimal. Perhaps a clownfish, hawkfish, or a damsel? I would love any feedback on this front.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

habetm14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Day 11 since filling. I am running the Blaze Mini at very low levels, completely blued out, for only six hours a day.

I started with ammonia chloride + a bottle of API Quickstart and have been adding MB7 every day since filling. I also added a few pieces of rubble from an established tank. When the bottle of MB7 is done, I will switch to Microbacter Clean. I've had good success with this product in the past, and I think it's essential the vertical wall achieves an attractive color.

It's been very smooth so far, just a thin film on glass and rocks. I will test in a few days, but will hopefully start adding corals in a week or two.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Last edited:

Topreefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the use of the the reborn, noticing larger style media being used in places like World Wide Corals as well!!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I started reefing, you had two choices of substrate; crushed coral or chunky like Reborn. We used to mix the two for variation. I’m starting a new tank soon and might go this route. Thanks for posting it. Looking forward to seeing your build’s progress!

OP
OP
H

habetm14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

The tank is approaching the three-week mark. I battled a mild bout of the uglies this week, but the tank is cycled and ready to go. 15-20 nitrates, detectable phosphates.

I have some interesting frags coming this week. The more hardy ones may go in immediately, while I hold back the others.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back