OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. A few Dino issues popping up, but feel that they’re under control. Mainly just enjoying the tank tonight.

C4738323-A772-49B7-BCD9-3EBA5F4376FF.jpeg

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while! I keep this build thread as more of a log of major milestones in the tank, and there hasn’t been a whole lot to note in the last 6-8 months.

I think in any hobby, your level of interest will ebb and flow and I have to admit my passion for the tank has been pretty low this past year. But the big difference in this hobby vs others is that we’re caring for live animals and can’t simply put it on a shelf until we regain interest. In other words, the tank has basically been coasting. All fish are still doing well, but a bit of pesky hair algae has taken over.

I have to blame myself on this one- my stocking plan was poor. Without any herbivores in the tank, this outcome should have been obvious months ago.

But it’s not all doom and gloom! I’ve spent the last few weeks manually removing algae and doing a deep clean of the equipment and sump.

Yesterday I took delivery of 11 captive bred Tuxedo Urchins! While 11 would be overkill for this size tank under normal circumstances, I knew they'd be small, so I plan to have them tackle some of the algae as they grow out, then sell a few of them locally down the road when I don't need as many. These guys are the best non-fish algae eaters out there; I highly recommend a Tuxedo Urchin for those with nano tanks where herbivorous fish options are limited.

1687489185049.png
1687489200520.png

----

Other changes since I've posted last:

- I simplified flow. I'm only running a single IceCap Gyre 4K + flow from the return pump. Since I'm only keeping softies and LPS, this flow setup seems to work just fine. Maybe a little detritus settling out on the rock work, but I just hit it with a turkey baster once a week or so to get all of it up into the water column.

- Dinos came on strong over the winter, but running a 10" sediment filter in a BRS reactor seems to have won the battle for now. I've since removed that rector.

----

Things I'm considering going forward:

- I've been mulling over a return pump change. I love the Sicce SDC and its integration with Apex, but the lack of a proper battery backup system has me thinking. Our power lines are above ground here and while we haven't had any major power outages in the time we've lived here, it's always a possibility with summer storms and winter ice. I have two EcoTech Battery Backups sitting on the shelf, so I may go with the Vectra S2.

jumboshrimp25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build time! I'll try to stay light on words and heavy on photos!

Backstory: It was time to move homes and with that came tearing down an old beauty of a tank (Old build thread) and coming back stronger with an upgrade.

------------------------------
CURRENT FULL TANK SHOT

Image from iOS.jpg

QUICK STATS

Tank
: FijiCube 76 EXT
Stand: Innovative Marine APS
Sump: Fiji Cube 30
Lights: (2x) Kessil AP9X
Return Pump: Sicce SDC 6.0
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT
Controller: ApexEL
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155
Flow: Ice Cap Gyre 4K
Heat: (1x) Finnex 300W heaters on Aqua Logic controller
Sand: Ocean Direct
Rock: Real Reef

CURRENT FISH LIST

1x Six Line Wrasse (4/29/22 - current)
1x Royal Gramma (7/30/22 - current)
3x Green Chromis (7/30/22 - current)
2x Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish (7/30/22 - current)
Clownfish (5/1/22 - 7-5-22) - Has been in my care since Dec. 2015 Rest in peace little buddy :crying-face:

INVERTS

Pistol Shrimp (5/1/22) - Has been in my care since Nov. 2017
11x Captive Bred Tuxedo Urchins (6/21/23)

CURRENT CORAL LIST

1x unnamed red Micromussa lord (5/15/22)
2x unnamed Micromussa lords (late '22)
1x Hammer Coral (late '22)
1x Pagoda Cup Coral (late '22)
1x Duncan (late '22)

Image from iOS (3).jpg Image from iOS (2).jpg
The tank arrived in excellent shape. Nicely packed and no damage. This was delivered before we decided to move, of course.

Image from iOS (5).jpg Image from iOS (8).jpg Image from iOS (9).jpg
Long story short, we got the tank into our new home. The big bonus is that this backs up to the unfinished part of our basement, so no sump under the tank.

Image from iOS (10).jpg Image from iOS (12).jpg Image from iOS (1).jpg
Aquascaping time! Ocean Direct sand and Real Reef Rock. I went with their 55 lb box of mixed sizes.

Image from iOS (11).jpg Image from iOS (4).jpg
Filling up time! Then, big issues! The Fiji Cube overflow box had a leak in the bottom seam. I contacted Fiji Cube and they had a replacement box to me in about a week and a half. I didn't want to wait that long or replace all of the plumbing that was already attached to it, so I repaired with Weld-on 16. I will set the extra on the shelf just in case. Kind of a bummer, but Fiji Cube made it right and was easy to work with.

Image from iOS (13).jpg Image from iOS (6).jpg Image from iOS (7).jpg
Still a major work in progress, but here is where we stand today. I have a Nuvo 10 that I'm using for a temporary tank for my clown that I've had for years and look to move him to the new system within the next couple of weeks. 1651283685029.png

Awesome build! I just recently bought Fiji's 76 gal INT shallow tank. My question to you... how did you remove it from the shipping container? Did you break down the crate or vertically lift out?

And what stand are you using? Was it also from Fiji?

OP
OP
Monte26

Monte26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I just recently bought Fiji's 76 gal INT shallow tank. My question to you... how did you remove it from the shipping container? Did you break down the crate or vertically lift out?

And what stand are you using? Was it also from Fiji?

Definitely break down the shipping container. Just a few screws. The stand I have is an APS stand from Innovative Marine from when they used to offer the stands only.

The only update I have is that this tank has been taken down due to a basement remodel. Currently trying to decide if I'm going to set it back up, or go with something different.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back