Fiji pink sand or hawaiian black sand???

OP
OP
Kehaulani

Kehaulani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I should be ok with this size grains, right? Another question I had was between the hawaiian black sand and the indo pacific black, is it just the color that's different? The hawaiian black is straight black and the Pacific is mixed with white particles? Also the size is smaller I think.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see more fauna in the fiji pink. Not saying its not in the Hawaii black because Ive seen worms and worm trails in the black just not as much as in the pink. Could just be because its black and hard to see.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I should be ok with this size grains, right? Another question I had was between the hawaiian black sand and the indo pacific black, is it just the color that's different? The hawaiian black is straight black and the Pacific is mixed with white particles? Also the size is smaller I think.
I'm sure any size is fine if you like it. I just prefer to encourage the microfauna. I think its healthier for the tank. The black size is a bit large for my liking. But that's me. Between hawain and indo I believe being from different areas the fauna will differ as well. I'm sure its ok though. :) so many choices.... lol

soggytees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have black sand, and I like it. I will probably be using Reef Flakes on my next build though.

Noah707

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand just doesn't look natural IMO, looks much better suited in a FW, again IMO. Pretty much comes down to preference as I think it'll be a marginal difference with grain sizes that similar. However I do have to say the black sand really makes the colors pop, just not something I'd personally go with..

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for black looking unnatural. Obviously, thats only my opinion. I use fiji pink and love it!

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. Size 1.0-2.0 mm. Best aragonite i've ever used. No sand storm's no clouds on stir up's and it will take a strong current without kicking up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 286
OP
OP
Kehaulani

Kehaulani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason why I like the black is because I have a Hawaiian reef themed tank. That's where home is for me and since I'm not living back home I wanted to make a tank that reminded me of the hawaiian reef. Back home we do have a natural black sand beach and it's gorgeous! So that's my reasoning for this post.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally had black sand for about a year it eventually got very faded looking and had a dirty texture I definitely suggest white long term! Black makes things pop(temporarily) but white gives a cleaner look!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason why I like the black is because I have a Hawaiian reef themed tank. That's where home is for me and since I'm not living back home I wanted to make a tank that reminded me of the hawaiian reef. Back home we do have a natural black sand beach and it's gorgeous! So that's my reasoning for this post.

The best reason I can think of. Black sand it should. Best if luck

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see it has Suttle hints of white. Not as much as the indo pacific though.

Attachments

• 1425574081580.jpg
    1425574081580.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 277
OP
OP
Kehaulani

Kehaulani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. How long have you had it in your tank? People are saying it fades over time.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is still relatively new, About 8 months

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 125 75.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back