Fiji Pink Sand

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, my question is how long on average will it take for this sand bed to sit?

I was reading that it needs to build up a nutrient bed first to settle in and prevent sandstorms?

anyone with experience with this fine sand know?

thank you!

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it. At first it blew around a little, but no sand storm. Adjusted power heads slightly. Calcifies a little but Diamond Goby keeps it sifted well. .

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted, I have particularly high flow because my goal is to have an SPS-dominant tank, but my Fiji pink has been a mess. I wish I’d never bought it and gone with CaribSea’s special grade reef sand instead. It has been almost four months and I still have tiny particles blowing around in the water column. I had to get rid of a sand-sifting goby because it only made things twice as bad. I’m currently debating trying to siphon all the sand out and just go bare bottom.

Tl;dr: AVOID Fiji pink and just get special grade.

OP
OP
Pillahump

Pillahump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted, I have particularly high flow because my goal is to have an SPS-dominant tank, but my Fiji pink has been a mess. I wish I’d never bought it and gone with CaribSea’s special grade reef sand instead. It has been almost four months and I still have tiny particles blowing around in the water column. I had to get rid of a sand-sifting goby because it only made things twice as bad. I’m currently debating trying to siphon all the sand out and just go bare bottom.

Tl;dr: AVOID Fiji pink and just get special grade.
thank you for your reply!!!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to switch to special grade as well. It does not look as good, but it does better Staying in place with the flow in my tank.

It comes down to what is most important for you? The awesome look of finer sand, or ability to have higher flow.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back