~Fijicube 18.5 peninsula RFA build~

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long story short last BF I treated myself to a nice new RS750XXL...so what the heck I am doing in the nano forum? that build stalled out as shortly after gettiing in tank in, my GF bought a fixer upper house 30 min. from us and not knowing what is gonna happen in my future we decided not to set up the 750...months went by reno tanking alot longer than it was supposed to. you all know the story so.

so that brings me here and now I have always loved RFA and dreamed of a build to focus on them.
after a week or more of thinking about a small couch side nano I just placed my order for a Fijicube 18.5 gal AIO
I was between the Fluval evo 13.5
IM 14/20
and the little ATO that came with the Rs750

all had there advantages and disadvantages but in the end I went with the Fiji cube peninsula love the foot print @ 24x14x13 it was the most appealing.
https://www.fijicube.com/collection...-gallon-rimless-aio-glass-nano-tank-fiji-cube

This build is gonna rock! with rock flowers nems that is!

I should have the tank in 4-7 days.

as of now here is the plan...

tank: fijicube 18.5 AIO

lighting: AI prime HD with 3D diffuser

heater: 100W finexx ( already have )

controller: keeping it simple just use a inkbird temp controller. but could use my Apex if it ends up being some what close to the bigger tank.

flow: I am between upgrading the stock pump to a DC one with more flow and a RFG OR go with a reefbreders reef power 260 GPH wave maker.

rock: i will use real reef rock I have a 40br wet and live that I can use. prob. use 10#

stocking:
lots of inverts

I hope to have 30+ RFA as the many focus, a few mini max nems as well.
~2x pom pom crab
~fire shrimp
~2X hermit crab
~porcelain crab
~4-6 sexy shrimp ( or more if I can find a good deal)
a few feather dusters
maybe a staghorn crab?
nem. clown shrimp? these guys look cool too

fish:
yellow clown Goby
purple fire fish
green mandarin will train to frozen but will sub. with hatch BBS with a modded Paul B feeder.

Let me know what you guys think so far. not sure 3 fish is a good idea or not but I see more in ppl evo 13.5.

pics of the tank to come when I get it in.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I am pretty impressed with fiji cubes communication. I ordered tank on Thursday morning they confirmed order and I fri got a FB message they will ship out on Monday.

they said it will take 3-7 days to ship on average. so I am guessing some time the week after. so looking forward to this build.

i'll keep the build thread going.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got confirmation tank shipped out today. they even FB messaged me to confirm address.

ordering 20# of real reef rock for the scape. prob. only use 10-15ish but i found it's better to have more on hand.
I have 40-50# of it live ina 40br waiting for the 750 so i'll just take what I want from there and replace it with the new stuff. so i'll have around 60ish# of rock to choice from!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I tracked my tank today. UPS says it will be here in 2 days! WOW dont want to get my hopes up tho. we shell see.

I did place that order form premium aquatics for 20 # of real reef rock yeasterday that should be shipped out today hopefully that gets here pretty fast too. as I requested nano sized rocks. so I dont have to take a hammer and chisel to the rock I have.

I also have some live matrix media that I am going to use in the tank. I think between that some LR and fritz turbo start 9000 I think the cycle should be pretty fast .

more to come in the next few days!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I tracked my tank today. UPS says it will be here in 2 days! WOW dont want to get my hopes up tho. we shell see.

I did place that order form premium aquatics for 20 # of real reef rock yeasterday that should be shipped out today hopefully that gets here pretty fast too. as I requested nano sized rocks. so I dont have to take a hammer and chisel to the rock I have.

I also have some live matrix media that I am going to use in the tank. I think between that some LR and fritz turbo start 9000 I think the cycle should be pretty fast .

more to come in the next few days!

Just hope it will be there before the weekend! Lol

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hope it will be there before the weekend! Lol

just tracked the tank now it says by Fri end of day. so around here that could easy become sat.
also got the tracking for the 20# nano real reef rock that is expected my mon, I work weekends anyway so i'll prob. be setting up the tank Tues, some time.

i'll keep everyone posted.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well look what arrived today!
Kitty making sure it's safe.

20190815_131738.jpg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No unboxing video but here is a photo series. Not much info out there on these tanks so I thought I should document this build so others looking at the Fiji cubes Aio tanks have more to to go on.

Let the photo dump began...

not what you want to see...a nice gash in the box right though the fragile sticker :O
20190815_132023.jpg

but the tank was OK!
20190815_132108.jpg 20190815_132319.jpg 20190815_132509.jpg

here is the mat. was hoping it was already attached like the red sea tanks. oh well another project.

20190815_132502.jpg

the goodies it comes with.
20190815_132600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few more pics:

Media basket. I think this will work great for filter floss. we shall see.
DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg

15W -800LPH pump. I wonder how it will do??
DSC_0021.jpg

quite small @ 4"
DSC_0022.jpg

filter sock. don't think I will use this.
DSC_0024.jpg

plumbing...
DSC_0025.jpg

1ST FTS with all the goodies that comes with the tank.

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and great dimensions.
Is there a skimmer that will fit this section?
Or are you going without?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just placed my AI prime in black with the 12" flex arm order from BRS. I will cycle the tank with out it on of course. but wanted to go ahead and get it on it's way.
now I get the 3D diffuser for it.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have been thinking about flow in this tank... while I wait for my rocks to scape the tank.

going back in for between upgraded RT pump with a RFG or use what I got and get a power heard for the tank.

I think I am going to go with my orginal idea of a bigger RT pump and the RFG for more of a clean look less cords in the tank. prob. quieter too.

kinda of a bummer as the tank came with a RT pump but not sure it will do the trick. thinking about the mighty jet DC pumps. I want to go with the 538GHP however it's .4" to big for my chamber. so I can try to mod it or just go with the desktop size @ 326.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back