OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks turned green since my last update. This week I started seeing some Coraline Algae growth(specks of purple/pink started appearing on top of the green rock surface and power head)

tempImage8cRWy0.jpg

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it from LFS. Bulk reef supply has also
oh I see. did you have them custom-made for this specific tank? I brought the exact AIO about a month now, and the lids I search for, mainly have to "custom" order

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh I see. did you have them custom-made for this specific tank? I brought the exact AIO about a month now, and the lids I search for, mainly have to "custom" order
It comes in a DIY kit. you will have to build it yourself from the kit. The kit comes in a different sizes. you can get the smallest one which makes a 24"x24" cover at max, which is enough for this tank

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks amazing man, very natural.. been following this build for ideas.... may I see what your media basket looks like? I wanted to do a cheato refugium but have no clue where to start...My AIO compartments is very basic haha

If your jebao powerhead is placed in the back, wouldn't the outer magnet get rusted?

Attachments

• fiji.jpg
    fiji.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 88
  • fiji2.jpg
    fiji2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 93
  • fiji3.jpg
    fiji3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks amazing man, very natural.. been following this build for ideas.... may I see what your media basket looks like? I wanted to do a cheato refugium but have no clue where to start...My AIO compartments is very basic haha

If your jebao powerhead is placed in the back, wouldn't the outer magnet get rusted?
I have a picture of the media basket in earlier posts.
I've since then removed the Chaeto refugium, I think it was the source of my cyano problem. Initially the Chaeto was growing well. Then after I harvested it a few times, the remaining started to have die-off, and was polluting the tank. After removing the Chaeto the Cyano started going away. I think Chaeto does not work well in a AIO, since there is not sufficient room for it to tumble have have health growth.

Now I only have filter floss, followed by filter media. I still run the Chaeto light as the light+filter floss kinda acts like algae scrubber, and algae is getting removed every time I throw away old floss. I will post another picture of the basket next time I clean it.

Good point about the Jebao powerhead. I placed it on the back for aesthetics, but I never thought about possibility of rust. Since you mentioned it I checked the powerhead, the magnet itself is coated with a plastic coating, and it's further covered by the rubber housing. No rust so far.

Last edited:

QFlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a picture of the media basket in earlier posts.
I've since then removed the Chaeto refugium, I think it was the source of my cyano problem. Initially the Chaeto was growing well. Then after I harvested it a few times, the remaining started to have die-off, and was polluting the tank. After removing the Chaeto the Cyano started going away. I think Chaeto does not work well in a AIO, since there is not sufficient room for it to tumble have have health growth.

Now I only have filter floss, followed by filter media. I still run the Chaeto light as the light+filter floss kinda acts like algae scrubber, and algae is getting removed every time I throw away old floss. I will post another picture of the basket next time I clean it.

Good point about the Jebao powerhead. I placed it on the back for aesthetics, but I never thought about possibility of rust. Since you mentioned it I checked the powerhead, the magnet itself is coated with a plastic coating, and it's further covered by the rubber housing. No rust so far.
ok thank you, yeah, I was going back and forth with either a fuge or a skimmer in that compartment, but now, prob in no rush

I have the same model powerhead, but it's on the side.. since there's no issue with rust on yours, I'm going to relocate it to the back, which looks way better

advanwoerden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, great build thread! I just bought a Fijicube 32g AIO with a Tunze 9004 DC but debating swapping for a different skimmer. I've had it running on my old tank but it hasn't produced any skimmate in 4 days...

How are you finding the Icecap? I looked at it but was rated 10-30 gallons, their K2-50 model looked to be a bit bigger but is discontinued. I'm also considering a HOB model like the Reef Octopus 1000: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh1000-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, great build thread! I just bought a Fijicube 32g AIO with a Tunze 9004 DC but debating swapping for a different skimmer. I've had it running on my old tank but it hasn't produced any skimmate in 4 days...

How are you finding the Icecap? I looked at it but was rated 10-30 gallons, their K2-50 model looked to be a bit bigger but is discontinued. I'm also considering a HOB model like the Reef Octopus 1000: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-bh1000-hang-on-the-back-protein-skimmer.html
I think you are referring to the k1 nano. I have the k1-50 for this tank which is rated for 50 gallons and k1 nano is rated for 10-30 gallons. I think k1-50 is the new version of the k2-50 that was discontinued.
honestly the k1-50 is overkill for this size tank. I don’t get consistent skimming because it’s too powerful. Also it’s a tight fit in the back skimmer chamber.
The k1 nano is a better match for this tank. I use k1 nano on my other nano tank and i really recommend it. Very easy to adjust and pulling dark stuff second day.
I have not used the tunze 9004 or reef octopus

Last edited:

advanwoerden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s super helpful. If my Tunze doesn’t start working soon I’m going to switch to Icecap. Other than inconsistent skimming have you had any other issues with the k1-50? I feel like I’d rather go too big than too small.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s super helpful. If my Tunze doesn’t start working soon I’m going to switch to Icecap. Other than inconsistent skimming have you had any other issues with the k1-50? I feel like I’d rather go too big than too small.
K1-50 is well built with good acrylics, but k1-nano is much easier to use for nano tank. k1-nano has magnetic attachments so water level can be adjusted easier than k1-50. when I set up K1-nano no adjustment was needed, it started working right away. K1-50 after endless adjustments I still cannot get consistent skimming. Also K1-nano is much quieter.
Contrary to what many believe, I think "bigger is better" does not apply to skimmers. I think right size is better.

Last edited:

advanwoerden

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an issue with the return pump blowing too hard? Not sure what type of sand you use but I have the Fiji pink and even at like 1/4 open it blows the sand out of the corners…

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an issue with the return pump blowing too hard? Not sure what type of sand you use but I have the Fiji pink and even at like 1/4 open it blows the sand out of the corners
haven't had this issue, but I'm using a jebao return with controller set to lowest, and I'm using "special grade" sand, which is larger than the Fiji pink

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Update:
- Recently dealt with an infestation of vermatid snails. Corals are looking a lot better now that is under control.
- Started with 4 trochous snails and past few months they were spawning a lot, so there are now hundreds in the tank.

AirIck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the heaters in the same chamber as your return? I keep hearing that is a bad idea, but I’m beginning to wonder if that is the only area this tank was designed to have them. Right now my heater is in the one of my sock chambers but I’m thinking about using that chamber for more floss

Back