Filter Feeders multiplying all over my PC Rainbow

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2019
Messages
1,858
Reaction score
2,016
Location
Dallas, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these little filter feeders on my PC rainbow for years, but now it looks like they’re starting to multiply. They blow in the current and look like little round polyps.

B349B863-204E-4DB5-8945-51AD7A309320.jpeg 4FE1A1BD-F6B7-4DDD-AFF3-5AD7DCFB4805.jpeg 524356F8-2483-4D90-9726-A4E54919DDA8.jpeg
 
I have a friend, who’s an expert in acropora. He said he’s seen this called a cancer in the past and recommended chopping up the coral.
 
Do they move or are they stationary? Can you get a more magnified or microscopic image?
 
A couple of them look like they are where you would expect a polyp to be. Are they a separate filter feeding organism or are they weird deformed polyps? Deformed polyps could align with your friend's comment on it being considered a cancer. A quick google search does show a type of cancer where acros develop "calico blastic neoplasms", but they look more like a white tumor rather than white polyps.

Congratulations, you have the forum's first "bounce" acro.
 
They look like weird deformed inflated polyps, but I can’t tell for sure.

I’m thinking about digging some rock out of the sump and glueing on the pieces I can find that aren’t infected.

Then I’ll just throw the infected colony in the sump to die.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new