Filter for Dinos

Andrew_3896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a comment on whether something like this might filter out dinos.

The filter is very fine and will take colour out of wine. I have used a vacuum pump for wine. You could use the same for this.

The pad will likely clog after a couple Gallons. Not ideal for a large tank. I only have a 29gallon so it would be too bad.

chinw76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get an Brs reactor and put a 5 micron sediment filter in it, pump dino water in, have dino free water out.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a combination of paper towel and filter sock to filter dinos when manually removing them. I make a 7 layer paper towel pad and then insert that in the filter sock. I push the pad into the filter sock using the center of the pad so it makes a cup shape, lining the filter sock essentially. Then i filter the water through that using a slower siphon which works well for approx. 5gal, then i replace the paper towels.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone have a comment on whether something like this might filter out dinos.

The filter is very fine and will take colour out of wine. I have used a vacuum pump for wine. You could use the same for this.

The pad will likely clog after a couple Gallons. Not ideal for a large tank. I only have a 29gallon so it would be too bad.
Filter socks- mesh type works best abd super quick and easy to clean. Even a stocking will work.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks- mesh type works best abd super quick and easy to clean. Even a stocking will work.
@vetteguy53081 I want to pick up some socks in case I get dinos and I want to filter them. What micron mesh is best and what brand? I found 1 micron, 5 micron and 10 micron but they seem to all be felt. I can't seem to find mesh that tight. When I find mesh they seem to be 100+ micron. Also, you mention stockings will work. Do you mean pantyhose stockings?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I want to pick up some socks in case I get dinos and I want to filter them. What micron mesh is best and what brand? I found 1 micron, 5 micron and 10 micron but they seem to all be felt. I can't seem to find mesh that tight. When I find mesh they seem to be 100+ micron. Also, you mention stockings will work. Do you mean pantyhose stockings?
I use and prefer 1 micron mesh. 5 micron also acceptable.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use and prefer 1 micron mesh. 5 micron also acceptable.
Thanks! Which brand do you use? I'm assuming felt is different than mesh and I can only find felt at 1 micron even though my search query is asking for mesh.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks! Which brand do you use? I'm assuming felt is different than mesh and I can only find felt at 1 micron even though my search query is asking for mesh.
I use BRS brand

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back