Filter Media Cup

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to share this newer product I found today. I think it has been out for a year or so but just happened to catch my eye at WWC today. Its put out by a company here in Florida (Rimer & Rimer Machine Shop) it is called the Filter Media Cup. Its made to replace 4in filter socks in a sump and can hold any type of media or filter material you want to put in it. Super easy just put your media in and put it in place of your sock. To replace you just dump the used media and replace that with new stuff. Right now I have floss in mine and its working great. If your shop or LFS doesn't have it I did see it online with many of the supply shops and Amazon. They run from $17-$20 depending on who you get them from. Lots of colors available and they do have a larger ring incase you need it for around $4. I will include photos of the box and installed in my eshopps Nano refugium.

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered one for my RS170. I am tired of the socks and the sump being so small, thought the cup would be better so I can put my media in bags and in the cup, then top the top off with floss and only need to change the floss.

I had to order from the US, so haven't received it yet,

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not impressed with the cup and going back to using socks, at least with the socks I only had to change/clean them every 3-4 days, I am lucky if I can go 24 hours before the cup starts to overflow. I could see a benefit to the cup if not using mechanical and needing a place to put a bag of carbon or some biological media though.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one of these a few days ago. Haven't tried it out yet though, I'm still in the process of setting up the tank I got the cup for. How's it working out for you now that it's been a few weeks? Still going smoothly?

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not impressed with the cup and going back to using socks, at least with the socks I only had to change/clean them every 3-4 days, I am lucky if I can go 24 hours before the cup starts to overflow. I could see a benefit to the cup if not using mechanical and needing a place to put a bag of carbon or some biological media though.

I change my floss every 2-3 days not sure why yours isn’t working out. They are bringing out a 4 in high flow in a month or so that would prob work better for you if you want to try it again. I’m definitely getting the high flow when they release them. They just finish the 7in high flow and released that a week or so ago.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got one of these a few days ago. Haven't tried it out yet though, I'm still in the process of setting up the tank I got the cup for. How's it working out for you now that it's been a few weeks? Still going smoothly?

Yes I still love mine. For me it’s much better then cleaning socks. I have been using floss and a bag of chemipure in mine.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea made their own which are high flow already but is also slightly longer cup which is nice.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my Filter Media Cup. I have loved having it in my sump but the only issue with the original for me has been it isn't high enough flow and even though I would change my poly about every 2-3 days it would begin to flow over the over flow of the sump intake. I couldn't really get media in it with out overflow but I would still rather have the basket in my sump over socks. Im very happy to say 4in High flow are now being shipped and got two in my mail box today. I just switched it out and the High flow works on point. Thanks to the Filter media cup team for getting these out.

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

IMG_3662.JPG

IMG_3663.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bringing this back from the dead...

Can you put something like matrix or pond matrix in these? They aren't constantly submerged, so it's like a trickle filter, and add some pillow filling on top as a pre-filter and change that daily or every other day?

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried these, and found that between having to cut floss and the floss making my skimmer overflow, it was not much less of a hassle than socks.

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone found a media cup that fits the trigger systems 39”? I have 3 filter socks that are held by an acrylic plate. Holes are oval shaped...haven’t seen any oval shaped rings on any filter cups.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheepdog funny I have the Eshoop Nano sump and my filter cup does not fit, it actually falls through making it tough to get back out. It is the same as the white that you have shown. Have you seen that as well?

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sheepdog funny I have the Eshoop Nano sump and my filter cup does not fit, it actually falls through making it tough to get back out. It is the same as the white that you have shown. Have you seen that as well?

Maybe you need this ring adapter?

4" Adapter Ring for Filter Media Cup ( For non- Red Sea Tanks Only does not include a 4" Filter Media Cup) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077NJJN32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VISiCbSXED4PN

Also comes with this cup.

https://www.marinedepot.com/Filter_...imer_Machine_Shop_LLC-6V587521-FIFMME-vi.html

Back