Filter Media Help

pgsonier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than being a member on R2R, I'm a member to Waterbox's Facebook group and I've gotten a lot of suggestions to switch out the filter sock for my tank and instead use a filter media cup with filter floss/wool? What is this and why do people recommend it instead of a filter sock? I thought filter socks were good at getting bigger particulates and were pretty good as mechanical filtration? You can also wash them out and reuse them, right?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the media cup holders with floss and didn’t like them, and to be honest I don’t think there as good as socks either.

I use the Red sea mesh socks and once I discovered it’s easy to wash them in the washing machine I stayed with them. I have about 10 and just wash them in a batch.

You still have to change the floss out but if you don’t like washing socks then it’s a good solution. I hated washing them with a hose pipe but again the washing machine solved that.

OP
OP
pgsonier

pgsonier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the media cup holders with floss and didn’t like them, and to be honest I don’t think there as good as socks either.

I use the Red sea mesh socks and once I discovered it’s easy to wash them in the washing machine I stayed with them. I have about 10 and just wash them in a batch.

You still have to change the floss out but if you don’t like washing socks then it’s a good solution. I hated washing them with a hose pipe but again the washing machine solved that.

I think I might just stick with the filter sock and purchase a few extras and switch them out when needed. How do you wash your filter socks in the washing machine? Do you just run a cycle without any cleaner or do you use something specific?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might just stick with the filter sock and purchase a few extras and switch them out when needed. How do you wash your filter socks in the washing machine? Do you just run a cycle without any cleaner or do you use something specific?
Originally I put a small amount of bleach in and just put them on a long cycle (about 2 hours at low temperature) and when that had finished, I put it on again with nothing, so just water in there.

What I do now is no bleach and just 1 long cycle and they come out pretty spotless.

I do it when the washers not in use. You just need extra socks so you have plenty spare. I probably only use the washer once a month and just drop the dirty socks in an empty bucket in the garage until wash day.

OP
OP
pgsonier

pgsonier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally I put a small amount of bleach in and just put them on a long cycle (about 2 hours at low temperature) and when that had finished, I put it on again with nothing, so just water in there.

What I do now is no bleach and just 1 long cycle and they come out pretty spotless.

I do it when the washers not in use. You just need extra socks so you have plenty spare. I probably only use the washer once a month and just drop the dirty socks in an empty bucket in the garage until wash day.

I'm gonna try it your way and see how that works. It seems a lot easier than switching out filter floss every couple of days! Thanks for the suggestion!

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you use the cup with floss, decaying organics will tend to stay in the cup longer adding to possible nitrate problems. Go with the socks and change them out twice weekly. That's my recommendation.

OP
OP
pgsonier

pgsonier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a few more quick questions, if you don't mind? Should I have carbon in my filter system when I'm cycling my tank, or should I put that in after it cycle, or at all in a reef tank? Also, should I switch out the bio balls that come with my Waterbox Peninsula 25? It seem's like you have a lot of experience, so any other advice you have to offer would be awesome.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few more quick questions, if you don't mind? Should I have carbon in my filter system when I'm cycling my tank, or should I put that in after it cycle, or at all in a reef tank? Also, should I switch out the bio balls that come with my Waterbox Peninsula 25? It seem's like you have a lot of experience, so any other advice you have to offer would be awesome.

Everybody does things a little differently in this hobby. But I think you'll find most hobbyists do not run carbon while cycling a tank. I think you'll also find that most hobbyists do remove the bio balls that come with all-in-one tanks. Not because they don't work, mind you. It's mostly because space is limited in a AIO and they probably have other plans. The bulk of the bio-filtration would be done by your rock and substrate in that scenario, although there are a lot of cool bio blocks, bricks, and cubes that you can use in lieu of those balls. I am trying Maxspect's Nano-Tech Bio Bricks in my new aquarium. Those things weren't available when I first got into the hobby. In my freshwater aquariums, I use ceramic rings because because they are handy for quickly cycling an aquarium, like if you needed to set up a hospital tank or want to help a friend get their tank going faster. I know the same applies to saltwater, i just haven't done it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back