Filter media set up for Fluval 13.5

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 gallon Fluval tank. Originally I was running in chamber 1 a nano skimmer, chamber 2 the stock filter pad and media. I recently upgraded to intake chamber 1 and 2. In chamber 1 I have filter floss on top, in middle I have the biomax insert, then chemi pure blue then chemi pure elite. In second chamber I have filter floss on top and bottom. (I plan on making this into a refugium). My question is this. Is it over kill having two chemi pure in chamber 1. Is their something I am missing that I should add to my tanks media baskets. I am new to hobby and just figured out the the stock filter setup for Fluval was trash and want to have my tank running perfectly.

645526B4-454D-496A-B023-68CA04A920E7.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 things.

Have the biomedia (biomax) last.

Never replace biomedia and only rinse it with tank water.

2 chemi pure is ok but not necessary. I would just run one in the future. As 5o which one its up to you

Seems like everything is good other than that!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of an older thread but I'll ask my question any, is the nano skimmer not needed?

no it isn’t, a water change will remove the nitrates and media and w/c will control PO4, nano skimmers are not in the same league as normal size ones and even if they were, as said a simple water change will do it, that leaves space for others things, when space is at a premium why fill it with something that can be achieved easier.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it isn’t, a water change will remove the nitrates and media and w/c will control PO4, nano skimmers are not in the same league as normal size ones and even if they were, as said a simple water change will do it, that leaves space for others things, when space is at a premium why fill it with something that can be achieved easier.
Good I didn't buy that yet. Would turning the 2nd chamber into a refugium like this thread did or would more filtration would be better? I'm going to have a CUC and probably 2 clowns and of course easier to care for corals.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good I didn't buy that yet. Would turning the 2nd chamber into a refugium like this thread did or would more filtration would be better? I'm going to have a CUC and probably 2 clowns and of course easier to care for corals.

I wouldn’t, same reasons, a water change will remove nutrients, a ref in such a small space is hard to keep clean, is questionable if it will be enough to keep your parameters in check, if it doesn’t which is likely, then you will be doing the w/c anyway and adding media to do the job the ref should be doing, people add them for a few reasons such as keeping pods etc but for me it would be using the space for something that may not work, and could be done using a different method.

Sounds good but you have so little space to work with, I would save it for something else along the road.

You really don’t need that much filtration in a nano.

OP
OP
ScottyD36

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second chamber refugium has worked really well for me. For me the chaeto didn’t grow to well in it so I used sea lettuce and it has worked out great.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run new floss weekly, carbon monthly, and purigen until it’s exhausted in chamber 1 and just a few pieces of rock rubble in chamber 2 for a bit extra surface area. Just keep up with a simple weekly maintenance routine and don’t overstock/over feed the tank and you’ll be ok.

A2dahlberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t, same reasons, a water change will remove nutrients, a ref in such a small space is hard to keep clean, is questionable if it will be enough to keep your parameters in check, if it doesn’t which is likely, then you will be doing the w/c anyway and adding media to do the job the ref should be doing, people add them for a few reasons such as keeping pods etc but for me it would be using the space for something that may not work, and could be done using a different method.

Sounds good but you have so little space to work with, I would save it for something else along the road.

You really don’t need that much filtration in a nano.
So I was to keep a Goby in the tank, then yes on the ref because of the copepods? Other than that it most likely be inadequate because of the size of it, and I would be doing a better job than ref with WC. But I can seed the tank with copepods to feed the Goby anyway right? How often would I seed the tank? I wont get the goby for 6 month after the tank is cycled but I would seed it sooner.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium of that size is not going to produce enough pods to feed a fish, it will help though, but don’t think of it as the solution. You would still have to supplement and have pods living in the display.

Depends what goby you mean, most will eat other types of food.

I would seed the display, and feed phytoplankton, but go easy on it as it will send your nutrients sky high.

See how you go, you may need to supplement the tank with pods every now and again but as said the fish will eat other foods, if it didn’t eat other foods, producing enough pods in any tank, never mind a 13.5g tank is extremely hard to feed a fish a diet of just pods, with or without a refugium.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In chamber 1, I use filter floss then chemi pure (5oz), then marine pure gems in the bottom. In chamber 2, I have a litre of Matrix pumice stones in an onion bag. Works perfect. I keep a little Purigen sac in chamber 3 with the heater that I change when it gets brown.

I think the refugium may be a waste on this tank. If anything maybe use an outboard one like the Tunze.

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by the photo, you are probably inhibiting some flow cuz your chamber looks so stuffed full.
Remember, there is very little flow at the bottom of chamber 1. This is the best spot for bio-media if you are going to use it in chamber 1.

Change your filter floss every other day. Put the Chemi Pure (5oz) (no more) in the middle of chamber one. Pull out all of that stuff in the bottom or replace with SeaChem Matrix or MarinePure Gems or BioHomme Marine Ultra.

FLOW is the most important element of this system. Do not inhibit flow by over-stuffing. Less is more. Good luck.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back