Filter Roller for Reefer 250

uli-the-nihlist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am looking to ditch the filter socks/cups once and for all by adding a filter roller to my Red Sea Reefer 250. After reading many of the posts on here, I'm still not sure what the best filter roller would be for my system.

I understand that some degree of sump modification will have to occur before adding the roller, but I'm looking to see which one everyone would recommend for a Reefer 250.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Theiling Compact 1 if that helps. I can give you any specific dimensions as you need to see what you think before you got out and start buying stuff.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed in the clarisea SK 3000 on my redsea reefer 250. Theres a pic of the sump in my build thread. Also have a youtube video about it, let me know if you need a link.

Astro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack thread but I also have a 250, and am wondering why you don’t like the filtration? I have one sock and one filter media with carbon, in conjunction with a skimmer it seems to be working really well? I’ve only cleaned the sock out once since tank is new, but I’m curious what the issues are people have with this that a roller resolves.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks should need cleaning once a week really, so a rollermat cuts down in the maintenance by being automatic in its function.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Theiling Compact 1 if that helps. I can give you any specific dimensions as you need to see what you think before you got out and start buying stuff.
How are you liking the Theiling Compact? Trying to decide on what to get. Seems a toss up between Bubble-Magus, and Theiling. ClariSea looks good too but I don’t kneed $200s worth of blinking lights and buzzers.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Theiling Compact? Trying to decide on what to get. Seems a toss up between Bubble-Magus, and Theiling. ClariSea looks good too but I don’t kneed $200s worth of blinking lights and buzzers.
I haven't got the tank yet I'm afraid

ArielW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bubble Magus (purchased from Premium Aquatics). Chose it because of better price and high flow rating (I have a 350 g tank). I have been very happy with it. Saves me changing a sock twice a week and has been working great so far. Still on first roll after 6 weeks and I have a high population of fish with a lot of feeding.

Zagreus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4' it's a custom drop off peninsula, or will be when it arrives
I have been reading on them all. One of the key considerations is flow rate. That factored eliminated all but klir7 clarisea 5000. Brs recommended the klir7 but the reviews are bad.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading on them all. One of the key considerations is flow rate. That factored eliminated all but klir7 clarisea 5000. Brs recommended the klir7 but the reviews are bad.
That’s why I’ve been checking out the Bubble Magus. Reviews and videos are very slim though. I really like the construction of the Deltec but $699 is too pricey for me right now.

OP
OP
uli-the-nihlist

uli-the-nihlist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack thread but I also have a 250, and am wondering why you don’t like the filtration? I have one sock and one filter media with carbon, in conjunction with a skimmer it seems to be working really well? I’ve only cleaned the sock out once since tank is new, but I’m curious what the issues are people have with this that a roller resolves.
I have no issue with the filtration on this system. My reason for getting a filter roller is to cut back on filter sock maintenance.

OP
OP
uli-the-nihlist

uli-the-nihlist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bubble Magus (purchased from Premium Aquatics). Chose it because of better price and high flow rating (I have a 350 g tank). I have been very happy with it. Saves me changing a sock twice a week and has been working great so far. Still on first roll after 6 weeks and I have a high population of fish with a lot of feeding.
I have been reading about this option more, but am confused about sizing. Which one did you buy for your 350g?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back