Filter rollers worth it?

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering purchasing a filter roller for my 6ft tank. I don't currently use filter socks I have Chaetomorpha in one if my Chambers running on reverse osmosis as well as a deltec skimmer in the other chamber for nutrients control just wondering if this purchase would be worth it in the long run some people say its the best purchase they've made for keeping water crystal clear and their sump detritus free I'm just worried it will keep the tank too clean.. thoughts?

Nitrates 5
Phos 0.07

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was a no brainer (I was going through four 100-micron filter socks every 2-3 days). Myself, I haven't noticed any difference in nutrient levels - probably because the fleece roller is 200-microns vs. the 100-micron filter socks.

OP
OP
Seagre

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was a no brainer (I was going through four 100-micron filter socks every 2-3 days). Myself, I haven't noticed any difference in nutrient levels - probably because the fleece roller is 200-microns vs. the 100-micron filter socks.
See that's the issue I'm facing I dont even use filter socks and my nutrient levels stay within good ranges. I plan on adding a couple more fish in time I'd like to be ahead of it to ensure nutrient levels don't rise :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's the issue I'm facing I dont even use filter socks and my nutrient levels stay within good ranges. I plan on adding a couple more fish in time I'd like to be ahead of it to ensure nutrient levels don't rise :)
If you're happy with your nutrient levels then I'd be inclined to leave your system as is. If you're going to add significantly more fish, then it might be worth the investment.

I have a ReefMat 1200 fleece roller in my Red Sea 750XXL (200-gallons) along with a Nyos skimmer and 50 fish. My nitrates are in the 30-35ppm range and everything eats and grows like a weed.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are worth it. I travel a lot and am not always about to rotate filter socks. Migrating from filter socks to a filter roller helped me maintain better consistency with water quality, etc.

OP
OP
Seagre

Seagre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're happy with your nutrient levels then I'd be inclined to leave your system as is. If you're going to add significantly more fish, then it might be worth the investment.

I have a ReefMat 1200 fleece roller in my Red Sea 750XXL (200-gallons) along with a Nyos skimmer and 50 fish. My nitrates are in the 30-35ppm range and everything eats and grows like a weed.
Yeah think this would be the best approach I'll hold off installing one just now I'll probably purchase one and have it for when I do introduce more fish. Nice that's what you want great growth :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back