Filter Sock Air Pocket

Wolflare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRAND NEW to this reefing thing and setting up my first tank.

I have my fancy Waterbox tank and sump now officially cycling, but for some reason, my first filter sock (mesh) in the sequence slowly accumulates air beneath it and then the water flow over the top builds up till it ends up spilling over the top of the barrier into the next chamber. I know that's super hard to follow, so hopefully a drawing and some pictures will help. Red is what's happening vs Blue which is what's supposed to happen.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I mean, I can "burp" the filter sock and get it back to normal easy enough and it takes about 2 days to build into a problem... so it's not like a REAL issue ... just an annoyance.
Air Pocket(2).jpeg

Overflow.jpeg

Air Pocket(3).jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Switch to mesh socks. No more air pockets

OP
OP
Wolflare

Wolflare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The system as it came from WaterBox runs with a two filtersock system and came with the first sock in the sequence being a mesh sock. The second one is felt.
It's the Mesh sock that's getting the buildup. I have talked to two reefers in my life and they are stumped as to what would cause this.

I'm close to having to like, drill a hole or something in the sock or sump itself (though I think it's glass and that's not an option).

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. I do not have a Waterbox but watching the video, it looks like it has created a funnel in the first sock. That could be what is creating the bubble. Maybe try moving that sock silencer disc to the first sock and see if that blocks the funnel. I would also email Waterbox customer service, see if they can troubleshoot.
Let us know how it goes!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back