Filter Sock vs No Filter Sock

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
avasquez01 - I agree that if your satisfied with your water quality/clarity, little to no algae problems and very little detritus accumulation in your tank/sump then you should leave well enough alone and forget the filter socks. However, the fact that you are asking may mean you are not satisfied with any one of the conditions above and are looking for a way to correct it. Then filter socks would be one alternative. Like any thing in your tank, good maintenance is a must and that definetly is necessary for filter socks. Like many have indicated above maintenace is very easy and the result could be a better looking tank.

For me the use of bleach is not so much to clean the socks but to remove the stains. I'm not sure using any detergent alone will remove all the stains. Maybe some of the detergents you listed could do this.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello seagull18, I'm neither satisfied nor dissatisfied... just curious as to what ppl in this hobby do with regards to filter socks. I agree also that "good maintenance" is key, but also want to know if anyone has tried alternative cleaning methodology within maintenance habits. Reason are to one better understand what they are... and two, to learn from the ppl in the trenches.

avasquez01 - I agree that if your satisfied with your water quality/clarity, little to no algae problems and very little detritus accumulation in your tank/sump then you should leave well enough alone and forget the filter socks. However, the fact that you are asking may mean you are not satisfied with any one of the conditions above and are looking for a way to correct it. Then filter socks would be one alternative. Like any thing in your tank, good maintenance is a must and that definetly is necessary for filter socks. Like many have indicated above maintenace is very easy and the result could be a better looking tank.

For me the use of bleach is not so much to clean the socks but to remove the stains. I'm not sure using any detergent alone will remove all the stains. Maybe some of the detergents you listed could do this.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually used to soak the socks in hydrogen peroxide. This would actually clean "and" remove the stains(which, we're never to bad because I take them out every couple days) .

I soaked them overnight, which was very, very effective. I always turn them inside out and then washed in the machine with no soap but it got to be a but if a pain after a while. So I just began washing them inside out 2x in the machine. That gets them clean enough for me these days.

TMC1313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used them. I like all the "floaties" that they catch, that otherwise I would have to clean out of my sump. I have 4 that I alternate every couple of weeks.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 10 socks I change 2 about every 3 days.
Sometimes a little longer. 14" socks last longer than the shorter ones. Quick rinse then when all used I put in washing machine water only.
They polish the water. The first time I used one I was amazed at the water clarity.
They keep the nasties from settling in my sump which will just have to be vacuumed out anyway. I don't like organics accumulating in my system.
I remember a quote from a Copps tank of the month article. "Just say no to detritus". I believe my corals are healthier without gunk laying around in my sump.
Healthy food for corals sure.. Rotting food in sump... nope.

Last edited:

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use filter socks because all of my reactors and equipment is fed from one main pump off of a manifold from the sump. When I didn't use a filter sock the equipment would foul over time due to particulate. Using a filter sock the sump stays cleaner and the equipment stays clean and flows well longer.

It is a pain to swap them, but I just do it when I clean the skimmer cup, once every few days.

Also, i turn the socks inside out, collect the pods, and feed the tank

s2minute

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use a 36" 200 micron sock in my sump for my 400+ system. In about 2-3 days it clog to the point of overflowing. Replace with new one , wash the the old in the machine and repeat. It was not hard. However, when i turned the dirty sock inside out i spend the next 15 minutes saving scuds, serpents, a nudi once in a while etc. I realized the life i was saving was only a small % of what i was killing by washing it. So, i decided to only use the sock during maintenance. After a short while the first thing i noticed was a great increase in all kinds of pods. Only after a couple of weeks was there enough detritus settled on the bottom of the sump,(a 150 gal Rubbermaid tub), to warrant a vacuum and that was easy. Even the corals seem to be responding better. My 3.5 " Maroon Clown constantly snacks off the back side of the DT where there are pods on just about every square inch of glass. Works for me. :rapture:[h=3][/h]

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom made sump with a couple of compartments for settling out detritus. Tried a sock once but it required daily cleaning which didn't suit my maintenance regime. Besides, the nutrient coming from the display is required to fuel the refugium containing the macro algae. One of the tricks for settling out detritus is to ensure that the water moved through the sump at a rate that your skimmer requires or fractionally more ... there's no gain to rush water through the sump.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g sump with a 30g DT. I maintain about 30g in the sump to allow for failure. I run a single 200 micron felt type filter sock. I have a handful of them and have tried a myriad of cleaning techniques and what I've settled on is a little different. I've stopped swapping them. Instead, I remove the sock. I have a remote shower head in my shower. I unscrew the head and use the hose to rinse first, then I turn the sock inside out and with the pressure all the way up, I rinse the sock from the inside out (reverse flow). After that, I rinse the outside, turn the sock right side out and give it one final rinse. Then I ring it out and set it side to dry while I do my other maintenance. Once maintenance is complete,i put the same sock back in the sump. I do this once or twice a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the bulk of us use filter socks, and various techniques to both keep our tanks crystal clean and socks too. Thank You everyone for sharing that information in this thread!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back