Filter Sock vs No Filter Sock

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious as to how many of you use them, please list why you use them or why you don't.
Thx!

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used filter socks since day one. The fact that they are filthy within days is enough reason for me to continue using them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of debates over the years on socks, and mechanical filtration in general. After many years of reefing I've concluded socks make very little difference, so I don't bother. YMMV.

c_healy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run one but I dont anymore. Leaves more food for the corals and fish. And anything left over settles in the sump to be removed at the next water change.

Trumptitan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iam looking at doing a system designed to not have a filter sock and uses a settling chamber instead. I posted the design earlier and set it up for judgement. I am starting to use some scrap glass from my shop to make my baffle s now and am looking to better design the settling area.

GobyWanKenobie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely use one after a water change to catch the lose debris. When it gets dirty, I sometimes go a week or two without. I also have a horseshoe crab that can make the tank cloudy so when he's really active I use a filter sock. I love that it clears the water so quickly, but wonder how much good stuff gets caught in there as well. I guess I'm 50/50.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iam looking at doing a system designed to not have a filter sock and uses a settling chamber instead. I posted the design earlier and set it up for judgement. I am starting to use some scrap glass from my shop to make my baffle s now and am looking to better design the settling area.

Detritus sluice box, interesting concept...

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo just like any mechanical filtration only works if regular maintenance is done to keep them clean. Other wise become a nitrate sock of left to long.

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried briefly maybe 6 or 8 years ago. Over rated in my opinion. When I broke down my 210 I had a rubber made 150 sump. There must of been 4 inches of sludge in it. For those who remember the tank I had SPS growing out the top of it. I will see if I can dig up a picture.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will need a large chamber to get good settling as compared to your tank. Some where between 50 and 100% of your tank. If not the flow will be so low to get good settling that it won't handle all of your water. Also a sloped bottom with a drain will really increase the utility.

On my current system I have a remote DSB and an Algae scrubber. No sock.

Red88rick

Ctars Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with no filter sock (I am really debating removing mine) how do you prevent micro bubbles when I run NO sock its just crazy bubbles. Would adding to the drain to put it under water fix this?

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older Pro Clear Aquatic sump that has (4) filter socks. You can't imagine what they look like after 2-3 days. I am careful about feeding my tank but I do have a large load. I also have a skimmer but it certainly doesn't get over worked. I can't imagine how all this junk would be taken care and what my tank would look like if I didn't use filter socks. I use Filterbag's nylon monofilament mesh socks (100 micron rating and not cheap) and change out the socks on average every three days. It takes me about 15 minutes to change out the socks and clean them. You just rinse these socks out under a regular faucet. Very easy maintenance. Only downside, if your trying to populate copepods, many will probably get caught in the socks. Obviously everyone's tanks needs are different, but for me filter socks are the way to go.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older Pro Clear Aquatic sump that has (4) filter socks. You can't imagine what they look like after 2-3 days. I am careful about feeding my tank but I do have a large load. I also have a skimmer but it certainly doesn't get over worked. I can't imagine how all this junk would be taken care and what my tank would look like if I didn't use filter socks. I use Filterbag's nylon monofilament mesh socks (100 micron rating and not cheap) and change out the socks on average every three days. It takes me about 15 minutes to change out the socks and clean them. You just rinse these socks out under a regular faucet. Very easy maintenance. Only downside, if your trying to populate copepods, many will probably get caught in the socks. Obviously everyone's tanks needs are different, but for me filter socks are the way to go.

A sand bed and algae scrubber can consume more than you can imagine. Once setup, they don't require much maintenance. It seems to me that you can mechanically filter to an extreme and it works like a portapotty. You can use a portapotty at home or your toilet connected to a septic system. So heavy mechanical filtering or biological filtering both work. I favor the biological method and don't need to be cleaning socks.

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trump, can't seem to find your previous post with design. Can you point me to it?

I run a settling tank, but it's just a 3 foot stretch in my sump. Looking for ways to improve performance.

I go sockless. My dt is a dsb as is my fuge. Also run an algae skimmer. No complaints on water clarity since I stopped using socks....speaking of I must have 30+ socks if anyone wants to buy em. :D

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a large chamber to get good settling as compared to your tank. Some where between 50 and 100% of your tank. If not the flow will be so low to get good settling that it won't handle all of your water.

Don't find that to be true actually. Have had settling chambers into all my sumps for years, and the design that works the best is to have full height baffles that force water under then over. Full tank volume, but lower water velocity allows detritus to settle out. Each baffle can be spaced a few inches apart, thus taking up very little space from the sump. Grinding a hole in the bottom or on one side allows you to drain the section easily. In the past I used an old mag float as a way to stir up the gunk for easy draining.

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so for those of you that use filter socks, how/what do you clean/wash them with if anything at all?

Last edited:

seagull18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the filter socks I use, a quick rinse under the faucet is all it takes. About the third usage or so I soak them overnight in a bleach solution. All this does is to clean out the stains (poo etc.) and brings them back to looking new (white).

OP
OP
143MPCo

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the filter socks I use, a quick rinse under the faucet is all it takes. About the third usage or so I soak them overnight in a bleach solution. All this does is to clean out the stains (poo etc.) and brings them back to looking new (white).

How many times a week do you remove and replace with clean ones?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back