Filter socks and plumbing

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving this question from another thread.

I have another question for all my helpful friends here.
I have a sump kit I purchased from Jax racks. I'm confused about the filter socks. (BTW, none of this in installed yet). I've seen pics where the overflow goes into an area that spills over to the top of the filter socks. But this is not like those. I saw other pics with a similar setup like this where the overflow pipes go directly into the two socks. I'm guessing that's what I need to do? It will be a Bean overflow. Which from what I understand has the one main drain, a secondary and an emergency. Will the main and secondary have the same volume flowing? If so I see how I can have one pipe in one sock and the secondary in the other. if they're not the same flow then one sock will obviously get more of the flow. Then if that's true I'm thinking I would tee off the main into the two socks. Let me know. Thanks!
1709394401594.png

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like its intended for the overflow to go directly into your socks. I see your point on 1 sock getting more flow. But this is for the 75 gallon tall sump, Possible more than one drain (not emergency) was planned for this. It will be noisy, looks to be no way to silence it unless the drain pipe extended down into the sock. Would be hell to change the socks

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like its intended for the overflow to go directly into your socks. I see your point on 1 sock getting more flow. But this is for the 75 gallon tall sump, Possible more than one drain (not emergency) was planned for this. It will be noisy, looks to be no way to silence it unless the drain pipe extended down into the sock. Would be hell to change the socks
Actually, they sold me this for a 40 gallon sump. Which I have. I’ll dry test installing and removing the socks first then if needed I can have my PVC pipes not glued at the point of entry this way it would be easier to change the socks.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I’d have the first section with the socks and the skimmer then an area in the center for a fuge then my bubble trap and then the return pumps at the end. Sound right? I guess there are things I can add to it if I wanted?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back