Filter socks / detergent

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening! I have a problem with my filter socks. My aunt accidentally washed the filter socks with detergent. Are they still usable or do I discard them? There’s 20 of them. Hate to throw them away but if there’s no saving them for use again then I may have to.
FWIW the detergent was tide pod

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just give them a 24 hour soak with bleach, then rinse thoroughly several times, air dry for a day or so and reuse. I’ll be interested to hear what others think as I’m a 1 year old newbie myself.

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alway chunk mine in with the washing. After it’s air dry I give it a quick rinse in tap water and change it over.... never had a problem been doing this about 5-7 years

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they smell of the scent/fragrance of the detergent? I'd wash them again with just water then again with bleach . Then sundry & give them the sniff test if They still like the detergent. Repeat the process. They may be savable
If they still smell it's your call. 20 socks would be hard to pitch . Please let us know how it works for Ya .

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they smell of the scent/fragrance of the detergent? I'd wash them again with just water then again with bleach . Then sundry & give them the sniff test if They still like the detergent. Repeat the process. They may be savable
If they still smell it's your call. 20 socks would be hard to pitch . Please let us know how it works for Ya .
Wife doesn’t want to throw it. She washed it in hot water. No detergent smell as far as I’m concerned. Will have her wash it with bleach then give update.
Btw, what chemicals in detergent are detrimental to the fish/corals?

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, what chemicals in detergent are detrimental to the fish/corals?
Here’s the Tide MSDS from P&G. It doesn’t show all the ingredients, just the ones that are known harmful to humans or the environment. I wash my socks in the washing machine with just bleach and extra rinse without problem. I’m sure there is some residual tide in there when washed and haven’t notice a problem for a couple years now.
C1CF3761-AEBD-4C42-A260-C623596ED00B.png

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Papareef. My socks no probs I can remember .They have been exposed to residual detergent but not a full shot. I think your ok .

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back