Filter Socks or Media Cup & Floss

ilyakarp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter cups and Polyfil here. Used socks for years but this is soooo much easier and works great. It's about $3 for a big bag that lasts for a couple of months. No rinsing /washing socks!
How do you know when to replace Polyfil?

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just look and see what the top looks like. Usually I change it every 3-4 days.

This may be a dumb question but do you change the top or the entire thing? Also this may be dependent on the type of media cup but do you fill it to the top, 3/4 or just enough to cover holes? And do I add more for when it gets wet and compressed?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but do you change the top or the entire thing? Also this may be dependent on the type of media cup but do you fill it to the top, 3/4 or just enough to cover holes? And do I add more for when it gets wet and compressed?

Those are actually great questions. I just dump the whole thing in a styrofoam box (that fish were shipped in) and pick out the pods to put back in the sump(yes I'm OCD) :) . I usually fill the cup about 3/4 full with the polyfil. If you put too much and pack it it will stop up quickly, trial and error here. I do not add more when it gets wet and compresses. I take that in to account when I choose how much to put in. It will tend to make the cup float up until it get's wet and compressed a little, usually just a few seconds.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are actually great questions. I just dump the whole thing in a styrofoam box (that fish were shipped in) and pick out the pods to put back in the sump(yes I'm OCD) :) . I usually fill the cup about 3/4 full with the polyfil. If you put too much and pack it it will stop up quickly, trial and error here. I do not add more when it gets wet and compresses. I take that in to account when I choose how much to put in. It will tend to make the cup float up until it get's wet and compressed a little, usually just a few seconds.

Thanks Salty. One last question. Do you find when you change the polyfil the bottom is not yet saturated as the top is? I know poly is cheap (less labor and cost) :D than the sock but in terms of even saturation does the sock out perform?

Codiak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter Cups and poly-fill are awesome. No more washing socks! Yeah!
My first cup's floss is nasty all the way through, the second cup, typically only the top third is even dirty. But, polyfill is almost free, so idc.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size micron on the mesh do you use? Do you use a felt to polish?
I'm using 200 micron mesh socks, they do a great job of keeping the water crystal clear. I still have felt socks and only use them to clear the water whenever I stir up the sand during a WC and change it out with a mesh sock the following day.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Salty. One last question. Do you find when you change the polyfil the bottom is not yet saturated as the top is? I know poly is cheap (less labor and cost) :D than the sock but in terms of even saturation does the sock out perform?

I pretty much see what Codiak said. I have 3 cups in my sump. The first is usually nasty top to bottom and less so with the other two depending on how diligent I am in keeping them changed out.

I think they perform just as well as socks.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much see what Codiak said. I have 3 cups in my sump. The first is usually nasty top to bottom and less so with the other two depending on how diligent I am in keeping them changed out.

I think they perform just as well as socks.

Thanks I will have two cups so I can expect the first one to be the worse of the two. I plan on cleaning them out every 3 days. I don't want to get into bad habits of changing them out when its too late and then I've have a nitrate factory.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used this Poly Fil? Fairfield PF-5 Poly-Fil Premium Fiber It says that it all natural and the are a couple reviews on amazon from people in the hobby that say they use it.. It is cheap for the amount you get 5lbs Has anyone ever use this product?

Here is the link in case you want to check it out.

81VqogxM6ZL._SL1500_.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw fire retardant chemical can be a source of antimony.

Rotary drum filter is my next choice. This is his filter @blitzkragz

Last edited:

cloggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever used this Poly Fil? Fairfield PF-5 Poly-Fil Premium Fiber It says that it all natural and the are a couple reviews on amazon from people in the hobby that say they use it.. It is cheap for the amount you get 5lbs Has anyone ever use this product?

81VqogxM6ZL._SL1500_.jpg

That looks like what I use. Except, I only buy about 16-64 ounces at a time. 5 pounds would last me a loooong time.

Codiak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

81VqogxM6ZL._SL1500_.jpg

That's the EXACT Box I buy! It's cheaper at Michael's than on Amazon.

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As reef keepers, I would assume we go into decision making with the thought of our natural oceans and reefs in mind. That being said, filter socks, though a little more work and attention needed, are a much more sustainable means of filtration. Socks can be reused while filter floss is just tossed into the trash after a few days. Most floss is some sort of plastic/polymer. This eventually ends up in a landfill or the ocean.

Just my opinion on the matter, but socks are the way to go if you want to keep your reef and the world's reefs happy and clean.

OP
OP
nept2n

nept2n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As reef keepers, I would assume we go into decision making with the thought of our natural oceans and reefs in mind. That being said, filter socks, though a little more work and attention needed, are a much more sustainable means of filtration. Socks can be reused while filter floss is just tossed into the trash after a few days. Most floss is some sort of plastic/polymer. This eventually ends up in a landfill or the ocean.

Just my opinion on the matter, but socks are the way to go if you want to keep your reef and the world's reefs happy and clean.

Hey thank you for your feedback. Great point of view as well. It will definitely give this thought. :cool:

LarryP25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excellent point. I'm definitely going to give mesh socks a try & also try using a felt sock when doing a heavy cleaning.

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA-

Poly Fil sucks. clogs in a few hours and my sump has never been dirtier.

Boooooooo!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back