Filter Socks..To use or not to use

I rinse mine out with a hose every week. I pick out the snails but I watch dozens of pods go down the drain every time. I still I have thousands in the tank and refugium. The drain line from refugium does no good through sock.

Sent from my galaxy s3
 
I used to use them, but the clogging in short time and cost wouldn't make sense. My solution was to find something that would clean the water mechanically pretty close to socks, but not so expensive to throw away Ina few days. I buy chemical-bags, the mesh bags that are used with chemical-pure, which are double stitched, and very very fine. I usually hook them to the overflow end hose that feeds the sump with zip ties. They last 1-2 weeks, and in case you are concerned if they filter well, a few minutes after you place them, you will see stuff, detritus getting trapped already.
They are cheap, buy online for 2 dollars per pair.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new