Filtration For 30 Gallon Tank

Zallergik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Mantis Shrimp are messy eaters and require more filtration so what kind of filtration will be good for a peacock mantis shrimp tank - Hob Filter, Canister or a Sump

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my 32 gallon I have a protein skimmer and a media reactor, and just weekly or bi-weekly water changes. its sufficient filtration for a small tank.

Canister filters are generally not recommended since mechanical filters need to be cleaned often or else the trapped particles start building up nitrate. It should be cleaned basically weekly, and cleaning a canister filter is a PITA (compared to the ease of cleaning a hob filter)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also why dont you recommend canister filter?

Canisters have a lot of cons. The surface area of the biosponges is unnecessary if you have sand and rock (however, the biosponges can get clogged and not grow the bacteria meant for cycling).

The cons are numerous imo. A Canisters is essentially a recirculating garbage bin that's a pain to clean. The longer crud sits in there, the more waste it produces. This wouldn't be a problem, but the inconvenience of cleaning them means most people won't clean them weekly (or ideally more frequently). Hob's allow you to easily access the filter pad and such, and is probably better at oxygenation water imo. I believe Canisters to be an outdated technology that promotes laziness

OP
OP
Z

Zallergik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my 32 gallon I have a protein skimmer and a media reactor, and just weekly or bi-weekly water changes. its sufficient filtration for a small tank.

Canister filters are generally not recommended since mechanical filters need to be cleaned often or else the trapped particles start building up nitrate. It should be cleaned basically weekly, and cleaning a canister filter is a PITA (compared to the ease of cleaning a hob filter)
What kind of skimmer and media reactor do you use?

OP
OP
Z

Zallergik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clean a HOB filter can u clean it with tapwater or do you have to use tank water from a water change.

motocross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% sump with refugium and protien skimmer. Oversized if possible. This is my 40gal breeder setup and I never do water changes. I wash out the filter sock once every few weeks or sooner if he does home improvements and creates a sand storm. My shrimp is doing great, corals are growing, anenomes split, and all the pods have a safe haven to reproduce. Makes everything easier and water is crystal clear.
20220811_130214.jpg

Attachments

• 20211211_203354.jpg
    20211211_203354.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 28

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back