Filtration for a 30 gal. Mixed reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter pshootr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pshootr

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
900
Reaction score
2,102
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am planning filtration for a 30 gallon bow front tank. I would like to put a 10-gallon sump in the stand so that a skimmer can go there. And I'm thinking to powerheads, one for surface tension and one for flow in the column.

Can I get some recommendations on a skimmer, and powerheads which are not expensive?

Thank you
 
My Reef Octopus 200 INT skimmer has been a solid performer for me. Whatever skimmer you choose, however, make sure you can take it apart and clean everything.
 
My Reef Octopus 200 INT skimmer has been a solid performer for me. Whatever skimmer you choose, however, make sure you can take it apart and clean everything.
That is very Sound Advice! I definitely will, and thank you for pointing that out. It is an aspect that I had not even thought of..
 
What about a build thread?
Not until I figure out what I'm actually going to do with it. I am already considering going bigger. So I am toying with the idea of maybe setting this up really simple without a sump or skimmer. And just putting a few fish in it with some rock, and maybe a few softies. And Save money for a bigger setup, rather than over investing in the 30 gallon. I may just put a power filter on it and call it a day. Will give me something to look at while I'm saving for a larger setup.
 
Not until I figure out what I'm actually going to do with it. I am already considering going bigger. So I am toying with the idea of maybe setting this up really simple without a sump or skimmer. And just putting a few fish in it with some rock, and maybe a few softies. And Save money for a bigger setup, rather than over investing in the 30 gallon. I may just put a power filter on it and call it a day. Will give me something to look at while I'm saving for a larger setup.
A thread build can help with all that too though.
 
I have an ancient Reef Octopus BH-2000 HOB Skimmer that has been rock solid over the years. I would recommend their skimmers for sure.
 
I have an ancient Reef Octopus BH-2000 HOB Skimmer that has been rock solid over the years. I would recommend their skimmers for sure.
That is great to hear, and thank you for your feedback. [emoji106]
 
4 years later, and no lol. Got busy with other things. Been watching BRS. Videos again lately, I thought I would login to r2r. Hope all is well, it has been a minute..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new