Filtration for Clown Fry

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fry have started to hatch. I have rotifers and ordered more as I don't have time to learn to culture them this late.

I have them in a 25 litre plastic tub, heater and airline.

The flower pot is still in there with more eggs to hatch soon.

I'm thinking about Ammonia build up and was thinking seeing as the flower pot has been a long term resident in my tank won't this be covered in nitrifying bacteria? Failing that can't I just stick some live seeded rock from my main into this tub and not have to worry too much about Ammonia build up?
Obviously there would be the issues of bristleworms etc in the rock that could get the fry.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the fry have started to hatch. I have rotifers and ordered more as I don't have time to learn to culture them this late.

I have them in a 25 litre plastic tub, heater and airline.

The flower pot is still in there with more eggs to hatch soon.

I'm thinking about Ammonia build up and was thinking seeing as the flower pot has been a long term resident in my tank won't this be covered in nitrifying bacteria? Failing that can't I just stick some live seeded rock from my main into this tub and not have to worry too much about Ammonia build up?
Obviously there would be the issues of bristleworms etc in the rock that could get the fry.

I would stick with the air stone until the fry make it past the rotifer stage and then add a sponge filter that has already been cycled. Until then you can do daily water changes which you will want to do anyway to siphon any extra food off the bottom. Have you planned out the food sources for once they are ready to eat something larger than rotifers?

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the air stone until the fry make it past the rotifer stage and then add a sponge filter that has already been cycled. Until then you can do daily water changes which you will want to do anyway to siphon any extra food off the bottom. Have you planned out the food sources for once they are ready to eat something larger than rotifers?

Tbh I was waiting to see if I had a successful hatch, woke up this morning to a few more fry. Some of the eggs left look a white colour but many others are still Orange.
Will they eat Copepods at any stage I can get those easy enough. Although I better look online for other sources now.

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't make it.
I had about 15 at one point, then the following morning all but 2 were dead. Then following morning they had perished.

I think the tub I had them in had too much water and the concentration of rotifers to volume was not enough.

I'll be a bit more prepared next time. But at least I know the process to the point where they hatch.

Surfzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about breeding is that you are constantly learning something. Now you know about food density and the hatching process. You'll get another chance, just keep at it. If it helps I've been breeding for a while and I only got 2 Clarkiis to meta this last go, but I learned that what seems like a simple thing that should be second nature can also require more attention than I was giving it. I also learned that feeding an algae consentrate will fowl the water faster.(always fed live phyto before)

OP
OP
Rabidwolf

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about breeding is that you are constantly learning something. Now you know about food density and the hatching process. You'll get another chance, just keep at it. If it helps I've been breeding for a while and I only got 2 Clarkiis to meta this last go, but I learned that what seems like a simple thing that should be second nature can also require more attention than I was giving it. I also learned that feeding an algae consentrate will fowl the water faster.(always fed live phyto before)

Thanks, the whole process happened by accident. However getting as far as I did means I'll continue again when I have the chance.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back