Filtration Help for IM 25 Lagoon

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you buy the caddy brand new you get filter floss, a pouch of carbon and GFO

I guessed that’s what you meant but as you said it was a used tank, wasn’t sure if you meant something else.

yeah that is all that is needed especially during the cycle.

well I probably wouldn’t add the gfo yet as it will be too powerful for your new tank, chemipure has a little but a separate bag of gfo will be over kill for a new tank.

if my tank, I would buy some good floss, some quality carbon and a tub of Purigen, that’s it, do your cycle, water changes after and go from there, you will probably need the gfo in a few months time.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guessed that’s what you meant but as you said it was a used tank, wasn’t sure if you meant something else.

yeah that is all that is needed especially during the cycle.

well I probably wouldn’t add the gfo yet as it will be too powerful for your new tank, chemipure has a little but a separate bag of gfo will be over kill for a new tank.

if my tank, I would buy some good floss, some quality carbon and a tub of Purigen, that’s it, do your cycle, water changes after and go from there, you will probably need the gfo in a few months time.
Perfect ill follow what you said in this, when should i change out the floss/carbon/purigen?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect ill follow what you said in this, when should i change out the floss/carbon/purigen?

Floss every 2-3 days, the carbon is down to preference some use a little and change every week or two some add a little more and change monthly, go by your water, if it looks a little yellow or Misty maybe time for a change, the Purigen works for months p, you change it when it goes a dark brown colour, it’s a light cream to start.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would you put the carbon and purigen into the filter for the cycle? Bc Im thinking of just floss and the carbon that comes with it for the cycle.

I would but not doing for the first couple of weeks works too, no big issue which ever way you go with the carbon and purigen.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would but not doing for the first couple of weeks works too, no big issue which ever way you go with the carbon and purigen.
So I was thinking go with some filter floss, carbon, purigen or should I buy ceramic rings for one of the slots in either one of the caddies? or are they pointless, only reason I am asking is because they are $4 on amazon rn

tincsam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking go with some filter floss, carbon, purigen or should I buy ceramic rings for one of the slots in either one of the caddies? or are they pointless, only reason I am asking is because they are $4 on amazon rn

I had some, just removed them, up to now there is no difference with the tank, just one less thing to collect detritus and clean, I’ll post back in a few days if things change with me having removed them. But up to now, glad they are gone.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some, just removed them, up to now there is no difference with the tank, just one less thing to collect detritus and clean, I’ll post back in a few days if things change with me having removed them. But up to now, glad they are gone.
I'm going the purigen and carbon route, does the purigen need to be in the tank when I start the cycle? Also does the purigen basically do the job of the GFO?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going the purigen and carbon route, does the purigen need to be in the tank when I start the cycle? Also does the purigen basically do the job of the GFO?

Purigen can wait a couple of weeks before you put it in, it’s similar to carbon, clears the water but it also filters out organic nutrients, so helps keep your nitrates and PO4 down before the nutrients turn into PO4 and nitrates, whereas gfo removes the PO4 that is already there, as it’s a new tank you won’t have any nutrients to remove yet, so you can wait but as said no harm if you add it sooner.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purigen can wait a couple of weeks before you put it in, it’s similar to carbon, clears the water but it also filters out organic nutrients, so helps keep your nitrates and PO4 down before the nutrients turn into PO4 and nitrates, whereas gfo removes the PO4 that is already there, as it’s a new tank you won’t have any nutrients to remove yet, so you can wait but as said no harm if you add it sooner.
Any recommendation on what carbon to use?

JD_Inshore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put it in by itself. I usually use a small Tupperware container to put against the tank and pull the old stuff out real quick so no drips and then just stuff a new wad in real quick.
How often do you change it??? I'm cycling the tank and have left the cottonballs from the original filtration from the box in there and filter floss from the same time frame in there

JD_Inshore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you change it??? I'm cycling the tank and have left the cottonballs from the original filtration from the box in there and filter floss from the same time frame in there
I change it twice a week. BRS did a study and twice per week seemed to be the best balance.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back