Filtration question

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who has experience with running large tanks, would it be necessary to run a sump on a 280 gallon tank or would multiple f6 canisters be able to do the job on a fowlr set up? I just have no experience with sumps and was wondering if it would be realistic to use another kind of system

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canisters are recycling garbage cans. Don't bother with them. Go for a sump. They are far less intimidating than they seem in terms of setup and function. There should be plenty of videos that people have setting theirs up or showing it off that should be able to give you a better sense of their design. If you absolutely do not want a sump, hob filters will do a better job than canisters.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a 206 gal system, sure it's a reef tank but I would never ever imagine myself going the canister filter route.
I understand that it's because you're new to sumps, but believe me it's not that difficult as it may seem at first, and it makes your life tremendously easier keeping up the different demands as they come.
And if setup correctly (with an emergency drain), it's a lot safer than using canisters too.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who has experience with running large tanks, would it be necessary to run a sump on a 280 gallon tank or would multiple f6 canisters be able to do the job on a fowlr set up? I just have no experience with sumps and was wondering if it would be realistic to use another kind of system

Benefits of sump/fug include aeration and optional lighting to provide growth for natural organic/media.
As well ascetics minimizing hosing/equipment from display.

I currently host a 66 gallon tank utilizing FX-4 and SunSun canisters for foam filtration/bio/and carbon.

I suppose FOWLR setup might not benefit from display/substrate/live rock/fug thereby leaning towards or necessitating external sump/fug rather than canister filtration.

Last edited:

TannerC91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ypu can definitely do it, especially with a fowlr. I've seen people run canister filters (even hob) and be successful all day but a sump gives you so much more room for expansion (important). If you go reef one day you'll be ready. Canister filters can get just as expensive as a sump (maybe more). The maintenance on a sump is easier than a canister imo. Canisters can get that out of sight out of mind since you can't see inside and build up junk. (I've done it plenty with freshwater) drilling the tank yourself is super easy.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Simple Aquariums YouTube channel. West Aussie girl who successfully runs a large fish and soft coral dominated system with canisters. If you’re comfortable with using canisters there is no reason why you can’t have a great looking tank.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses, I have some time to decide still I won't be upgrading for awhile yet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back