Fin rot during copper treatment?

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had experience with fish in quarantine getting fin rot. It is a nasty infection to battle but if done right you can have great success. When a fish gets sick it opens there body up to other types of infections. This is also the case when fish are stressed out such as when you first introduce them to a new tank. Fin rot can be a primary illness but is usually secondary to another problem. You best bet at treating these fish is making sure any fish with fin rot are in quarantine and if other fish where with that fish, make you closely monitor them. If you know the primary cause of illness treat that first. For fin rot I recommend either aquarium salt or melafix as it will help the fishes immune system in repairing the fins. You should also treat them with a bacterial medicine to get rid of the rot as the fins will not heal during active infection. Best of luck

JeffC27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be noted that cupramine will treat primary parasitic infection but not fin rot as that is bacterial. Fish commonly get fin rot as a secondary illness

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back