Finally coming back and need some advice

Glitched

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Last post feels like a long time ago, but finally moving soon and with that, returning to the hobby.
My goal is to do a large setup (600 - 680gal) and keep softies and lps. Just can't confirm the tank size until I confirm I've got the house.
Starting on hardware, for a larger tank:
Do you still follow the 4.5 times water movement from sump to tank per hour?
Best ideas for wave pumps / power heads? (e.g. 4 pumps at each end, or is there a better way)
I'm thinking of a tank height of 32", now would lighting like the REEFBREEDERS PHOTON 48-V2+ be enough for the depth, or do I need something with a bit more power?

Any help and wisdom would be awesome

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Last post feels like a long time ago, but finally moving soon and with that, returning to the hobby.
My goal is to do a large setup (600 - 680gal) and keep softies and lps. Just can't confirm the tank size until I confirm I've got the house.
Starting on hardware, for a larger tank:
Do you still follow the 4.5 times water movement from sump to tank per hour?
Best ideas for wave pumps / power heads? (e.g. 4 pumps at each end, or is there a better way)
I'm thinking of a tank height of 32", now would lighting like the REEFBREEDERS PHOTON 48-V2+ be enough for the depth, or do I need something with a bit more power?

Any help and wisdom would be awesome
That's a big one! For softies and LPS corals, 4.5 sump to tank turnover should be fine. Making waves, how many you will need, and their placement will be determined by your aquascape, corals, coral placement, and, eventually, the effect coral growth has on the flow in the tank. You can always add more powerheads/wave-makers. 32" is a pretty tall tank and may be a challenge for some photosynthetic organisms with that light. Personally, If you have the room, I'd go shallower. It is always easier and less expensive to lower light output than to have to replace or add more light if needed.

OP
OP
G

Glitched

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big one! For softies and LPS corals, 4.5 sump to tank turnover should be fine. Making waves, how many you will need, and their placement will be determined by your aquascape, corals, coral placement, and, eventually, the effect coral growth has on the flow in the tank. You can always add more powerheads/wave-makers. 32" is a pretty tall tank and may be a challenge for some photosynthetic organisms with that light. Personally, If you have the room, I'd go shallower. It is always easier and less expensive to lower light output than to have to replace or add more light if needed.
Thanks for the input dude.
With the aquascape, I was going to do something similar to my last tank 78x25x27" (WxDxH) where I had a coral rock wall at the back, with smaller rock islands in the mid to front of the tank up to 7" high. While this new tank I'm planning will be 188x39x32 (but may drop height to 27", but would be cool to find some corals that do ok in lower light, or put some lighting for the front row near the base).
I ran 30 to 60 times water movement through the wave pumps in the old tank, which seemed to work well with what I kept.
Still lots of research to do, and hardware to pick, and most importantly to take time setting everything up right the first time.
Anyone got any good / bad opinions on Jebao wave pumps? limited to what I can get from my local without ordering from overseas.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input dude.
With the aquascape, I was going to do something similar to my last tank 78x25x27" (WxDxH) where I had a coral rock wall at the back, with smaller rock islands in the mid to front of the tank up to 7" high. While this new tank I'm planning will be 188x39x32 (but may drop height to 27", but would be cool to find some corals that do ok in lower light, or put some lighting for the front row near the base).
I ran 30 to 60 times water movement through the wave pumps in the old tank, which seemed to work well with what I kept.
Still lots of research to do, and hardware to pick, and most importantly to take time setting everything up right the first time.
Anyone got any good / bad opinions on Jebao wave pumps? limited to what I can get from my local without ordering from overseas.
I can vouch for the Jebao wavemakers. I have 4 and have had no issues with any of them so long as you perform routine cleaning and maintenance. The only thing I can gripe about them is they can be loud. Cleaning and maintenance usually take care of that, until it doesn't. But, the bang for the buck can't be beaten in my humble opinion.
PS. There is a like button... ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back