Finally getting my seahorse started!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cassi the tank looks great especially considering how busy you are. Would love to see your corals. How big are your ponies now? Haven’t started my build yet, like you said life happens, hoping later this summer.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cassi the tank looks great especially considering how busy you are. Would love to see your corals. How big are your ponies now? Haven’t started my build yet, like you said life happens, hoping later this summer.
Thanks! I'll get some pics of my corals when they are open and post them ASAP.

I expected the seahorses to be super difficult, but with the build I did (the sump and protein skimmer, etc.), they have been nothing but a joy. The hardest part is the feeding schedule. They eat 3-4 times a day. But it only takes a few minutes each time and they have been worth it.

They are full-grown now with the male being about 6-7" long and the female is 5-6" long. They are now courting again, so I hope to see babies soon. The h. erectus get bigger, but the Northern erectus don't get that big. I hope you start your build soon, I'd love to see it!

I'd love to add more corals to my tank to fill it out. We're looking at different species to make sure we get non-aggressive ones that can go in the seahorse tank. Alyssa has a great selection, but I'm not limiting myself to her site. I know I want to add some leathers and some zoas. I'm just not sure which ones!

When you do get started, do you know which seahorses you're going to go with?

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping an eye on Alyssa’s site. I am leaning towards a pair of the dark silver saddled erectus and a pair of the regular saddled. I just looked and her prices have taken a big jumy like just about everything. I have been thinking of buying most of the seahorse tank stuff through her but Will see when I get that far.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping an eye on Alyssa’s site. I am leaning towards a pair of the dark silver saddled erectus and a pair of the regular saddled. I just looked and her prices have taken a big jumy like just about everything. I have been thinking of buying most of the seahorse tank stuff through her but Will see when I get that far.
I can tell you that her customer service is amazing. Anytime I have a question, she will answer it right away. I've even called her on the phone with great results. I'm sure there are other great companies out there to get your seahorses, I just don't have experience with them. Her customer service is why I'll buy from her in the future. And her ponies were in excellent shape when I got them, frisky and ready to eat right away.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank 7-2-2021.jpg

Ponies 1 7-2-2021.jpg

I thought I would send a quick update. The ponies are doing great, although I could only get a picture of one of them. The tank has several peaceful fish that seem to all get along with the seahorses and the same corals that I had to start with, all doing well. Sorry the pictures are blue... I can't seem to figure out how to take pictures that aren't blue. I'm hoping that the ponies will breed soon and I plan on getting a second pair of ponies, probably the h. erectus dark silver saddled from Alyssa at seahorsesavvy.com. I think they're beautiful and I have plenty of room for them I think, but that won't be for a few months. I've also been thinking about adding some mushrooms and more gorgonians, but I'm not sure about that. Right now I guess I'm just happy with my tank the way that it is. Everything seems to be going great. Thanks again to everyone here for all of the advice when I was setting up. It made all the difference in my success!

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those dark silver saddled erectus are beautiful aren't they? If/when I get more, that's what I think I'll get too. I love Alyssa's site and know that everything I buy is seahorse safe, which means less work for me. Hope to see your seahorse tank up soon!

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sad to say that two weeks ago I lost my female pony. I'm not sure what happened. One day she was fine, eating and frolicking. The next she was lying on the bottom of the tank gasping for air. We did everything we could to save her, but it was over quickly. The little boy seemed fine and has since been great. My husband, bless him, moved up our plans to buy another pair just so the little boy wouldn't be alone, so I now have a male and female pair of dark silver saddled h. erectus to go along with my Northern h. erectus. They are so tiny and adorable. They were from Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy as well and arrived in great condition three days ago. They immediately started eating and exploring the tank and are doing great. Hope this is a good picture.

new seahorses.jpg

The rest of the fish in the tank are all doing well as is the original seahorse, so I'm not sure what happened to my little girl. These two new little additions have such different "personalities" than the original Northern h. erectus. They swim all over the tank where the Northern h. erectus just liked to find a place to quietly hang out. My Northern h. erectus boy is still hiding in his cave, where he originally took up residence when I got him. He just seems to like it. *shrug* The new babies are so much fun to watch as they explore everywhere and chase down their food (even though I target feed). They seem to be doing great. I'll keep updating as they grow.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg, I miss sea horses so much
I love your beautiful build.
Thank you. They have been an adventure. I have had FOWLR, fish only, and reef tanks in the past, but I think seahorses are my absolute favorite. There is so much interaction and the extra care they need just adds to the fun.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Cassi, sorry for your loss but glad you were able to get a pair of replacements so quickly, tanks looking good by the way.

Back