seahorse tank build plan help?

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have to wait until August to fund my build, but I have a list of everything I am planning on adding to my tank. Do you mind going over it to make sure I am not making any huge blunders? It has taken me six months of work to come up with my "final" list of equipment. I plan on having a seahorse tank starting with one pair of h. erectus. I'll be adding a couple of gorgonians, some plants, and maybe a leather coral. I also plan on having other hitching posts, such as artificial plants and chains. I plan on using Dr. Tim's to cycle the tank before adding anything except live sand and live rock. Here's what I have planned:

Red Sea Reefer 200 XL
Red Sea Reefer Skimmer RSK-300
Red Sea ReefLED 90w
Red Sea ReefLED Mounting Arm 21-24"

AquoEuro 1/10hp Titanium Apex Chiller
Apex 370 pump

Rossmont Mover M900 Circulation Pumps - 2
Rossmont Wireless Controller

Sicce Syncra Pump Model 3.5 (660 gph)

JBJ 150w true temp titanium heating system (in the sump)

grounding probe

Lifeguard digital temp alert

Media in the sump:
poly filter pads
biofilter media gems
granulated carbon.

Does anyone have any corrections or additions or other recommendations? As soon as I'm able to actually start the build, I'll be posting lots and lots of pictures. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right equipment before I start buying. Thanks everyone!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see it. Do a build thread please ;) very curious how you setup the tank and placement of the interior: gorgs, plants, etc.

KP Aquatics has always supplied me with excellent gorgs. Nice people too.

IMG_2265.JPG

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a related question. My tank is 42 gallons with an 11-gallon sump. Will 660 gph be enough or should I go with a bigger pump? I've seen both 10x and 20x return listed on here. 660 gph turns my tank over a little more than 12X an hour. Is this enough?

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see it. Do a build thread please ;) very curious how you setup the tank and placement of the interior: gorgs, plants, etc.

KP Aquatics has always supplied me with excellent gorgs. Nice people too.

IMG_2265.JPG
Beautiful! Thanks what I'm looking for in my tank. Thanks for the reply!

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 gph is perfectly fine. Currently the only flow on my seahorse tank is a HOB filter.

Here's a random tip: target feed your seahorses so that no food goes to waste and rots.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every set up is different and can have different needs for flow. One of the main reasons for the flow rate is to keep the crap in suspension long enough for it to be picked up by whatever mechanical filtration method you are using.
I find that it's impossible for me to accomplish this totally but I can have it so there is only ONE area that in time accumulates what doesn't get picked up and I arrange things so that the spot is convenient for me to vac it up.

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. And thanks for the feeding tip. I'll be sure to do so.
I found it was great having a feeding trough... aka large shell. I put some rigid tubing in the corner with the bottom bent just a little (heat melted) so it fell into the shell. I would use a turkey baster to put food in and push the food down the tube...they would follow as it went down lol When I did my water changes I would run a bottle brush down and suck the water out with the turkey baster. This made it easier to see how much to feed and to keep the tank cleaner.
1589394229436.jpeg

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it was great having a feeding trough... aka large shell. I put some rigid tubing in the corner with the bottom bent just a little (heat melted) so it fell into the shell. I would use a turkey baster to put food in and push the food down the tube...they would follow as it went down lol When I did my water changes I would run a bottle brush down and suck the water out with the turkey baster. This made it easier to see how much to feed and to keep the tank cleaner.
1589394229436.jpeg
What a creative way to feed! I've heard to feed them like this - in a cup of somekind -, to target feed, and to broadcast feed. Cup feeding seems easiest when wanting to keep the tank clean and make sure they are all eating. I don't think I'd be great at target feeding and broadcast feeding would drive me nuts - trying to see who was eating what at the same time! I'm going to grab your picture, if that's okay with you, and put in my build folder on my computer.

trvsty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely have a variety of hitching posts, personally i'm going to use gorgs, macroalgae, kenya tree leather and finger leather for most of mine. most if not all soft corals should be fine in the tank. i think going bare bottom on the tank would probably be best to be able to siphon out any debris/waste. prob would also be a good visual indicator of when the tank should be cleaned. if you don't like the look of bare bottom i know some people use ABS plastic sheets on the bottom. i was thinking of doing that with mine but i want to grow gsp on the bottom of my tank.

OP
OP
cassilyn

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely have a variety of hitching posts, personally i'm going to use gorgs, macroalgae, kenya tree leather and finger leather for most of mine. most if not all soft corals should be fine in the tank. i think going bare bottom on the tank would probably be best to be able to siphon out any debris/waste. prob would also be a good visual indicator of when the tank should be cleaned. if you don't like the look of bare bottom i know some people use ABS plastic sheets on the bottom. i was thinking of doing that with mine but i want to grow gsp on the bottom of my tank.
Thanks! I still haven't made up my mind about bare bottom or sand, although I am leaning towards a very shallow sand bed for aesthetics...I just like the look. I can see the benefits of bare bottom, however, hence my dilemma. I still have a little time to figure it out and make up my mind. There are just so many decisions when planning a tank! Anyone wish they had done something different?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back