Finally! GHA control on a 2 yr old reef

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited for 6 months before posting this to make sure I was confident in the results. Short story, used correctly Bacter-clean-M from Continuum works. Here’s the long version and what I think is happening.
I was at my wits end trying to control the GHA that simply refused to be controlled. Vibrant, GFO, cleanup crew, etc.... I finally ran across a video series from Eat Sleep Reef on YouTube and decided to try the Continuum product. I removed the gross amounts by hand and toothbrushed (accidentally at first) the parts I couldn’t pull by hand. I also put a small amount 1/4 tsp of sugar in the bacteria mix before adding it to the aquarium. I do this 20 minutes BEFORE adding to the tank.
OBSERVATIONS:
1- following the directions on the bottle for bad infestation I noticed that the areas that were pulled by hand showed SLOWED growth of the gha.
2- The areas that I had toothbrushed were COMPLETELY clean down to bare rock.
3- subsequent treatments did not totally eliminate the gha but slowed the growth.
I decided to toothbrush all the gha followed by the full initial dose of the Bacter-m and the gha did not return. In fact within a week coraline algae began to grow where the gha was originally. I now dose once a week to maintain.
What I think is happening is that the bacteria in the bottle actually predates the free floating algae. I also noticed that it outcompeted some cyano that was growing in my tank.
I missed a small tuft of algae and kept it under observation. Coincidentally I left for week on a camping trip an when I got back the tuft had grown but the rest of the tank was still pristine. I pulled and toothbrushed that gha and I’ve been algae free for the last four months.
It is possible that the bacteria in the bottle was just bacteria that I was missing from the beginning (I started the tank with dry rock), and my bacterial diversity is now able to control the algae.
Again this has been MY experience, the more information we can contribute to the community the better.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulation on your success and thank you for sharing :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back