Finally got around to testing levels

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bryan47
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bryan47

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2014
Messages
659
Reaction score
24
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I've been super busy and the tank got neglected for a while and some diatom built up. Weird thing is my corals and fish have never seemed better. Talked it over with Jeremy and Sean and we came to the conclusion it's likely that the levels have been stable at bad rates. Haven't done a water change in about two months and nitrates were only at 30ppm. Not sure what's keeping them down. Salinity was around 40 so just did a fresh water change of 5g. I think I need to adjust levels slowly as to not shock anything in the tank. So I was thinking 5G every day or every other to get levels back to safe levels. It's a 55 with a 15 G acrylic sump. I will post levels and take any advice you can give! Also had a trace amount of ammonia which is weird the tank has been going for 8 months now.

Temp: 79F
Salinity: 40 ppt
Ammonia: .25
PH: 8.2
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 30 ppm
Phosphates: 0ppm
Calcium: 450 ppm
Mag: 1600 ppm
KH: 7.7

Thank you!
 
How did the salinity get that high? I would never dump that much fresh water in my tank in the course of one day, especially not a 55 gallon. One or two gallons at a slow drip is the most I would ever attempt in 24 hours. They are still alive so they have already adjusted to your current parameters, it must be changed very slowly now. Just my opinion.
 
bringing the salinity down can go much faster than if you needed to bring it up. They say in months of heavy rainfall even on the reef it can drop fairly fast which makes sense IMO. However I still would take a week or more to bring it down. I would just let my ato do the work. as in fill ato, then drain some tank water and let the ato drip in to replace it.

the ammonia could just be faulty test.
 
1.030 salinty is high but not deadly and bringing it down with a daily 5g fresh R/O water exchange is not a bad idea in my opinion. Without water changes, your calcium is at a good level but definitely not in balance with your lower alkalinity of 7.7 DKH. Your magnesium is also pretty high at 1600 ppm without dosing. Any trace amount of ammonia even at .25 ppm for an established reef tank is cause for concern though.
 
Thanks guys, had a little accident last night and I'm on crutches so it'll be a week before I can start adjusting levels again :(
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new