Finally got my ICP tests now what?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the results back for my two tanks and not sure how to read them and what I need to worry or to do.

First, “total phosphate” is the number I am looking at correct? And what’s “chrome”? My bigger tank has a chrome reading of 1,17 and the recommended range is 1,17 to 2,3 is that mean I am ok?

so based on the results, what’s next?

thanks!

DAE8FF0C-7B4D-47A5-847D-84AAD5E4E445.jpeg 778C5849-39CB-4D56-B1E2-862689D47203.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potassium seems unusually high. Are you dosing any? If so, I'd stop.

Nothing else jumps out at me as a significant issue. I wouldn't worry about the chromium.
I was dosing little bit of Tropic Marin A and K weekly but I stopped for a few weeks before sent in the icp. However, I am dosing Red Sea energy daily if not I dose acropower

for the chromium, wouldn’t it be helpful if I run through some cuprisorb just to pull the metal out?

Also “total phosphate” is the number I need to know correct?

thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was dosing little bit of Tropic Marin A and K weekly but I stopped for a few weeks before sent in the icp. However, I am dosing Red Sea energy daily if not I dose acropower

for the chromium, wouldn’t it be helpful if I run through some cuprisorb just to pull the metal out?

Also “total phosphate” is the number I need to know correct?

thanks

I would not assume that it is beneficial to add a metal binder, because they bind many metals, and you are in short supply of some.

As to phosphate, you can interpret either P or phosphate (it's just a math conversion), but if you are comparing to what folks get with a test kit, they report phosphate. Yours is fine.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume that it is beneficial to add a metal binder, because they bind many metals, and you are in short supply of some.

As to phosphate, you can interpret either P or phosphate (it's just a math conversion), but if you are comparing to what folks get with a test kit, they report phosphate. Yours is fine.
Got it but just to clarify on the phosphate reading, based on my second results, P is .218 that’s the number I need to know correct? I usually check it with the Hanna ULR phosphate checker.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, and .218 seems high if you're running Acros. My acros do not like anything above .1. At .2 some of my corals will suffer tissue loss. Trust me, I just had it happen. Went on vacation and phosphate claimed to .2 (hanna checker) and 1 of my favorite coral frags had already started dying, I didn't catch it in time.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, and .218 seems high if you're running Acros. My acros do not like anything above .1. At .2 some of my corals will suffer tissue loss. Trust me, I just had it happen. Went on vacation and phosphate claimed to .2 (hanna checker) and 1 of my favorite coral frags had already started dying, I didn't catch it in time.
Yeah it’s being like that. It used to be .90 and I brought it down slowly. Now it’s always hovering around .3 by Hanna but somehow it’s lower by icp lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i should be reading P (.218) correct?

If the intent is to compare the checker to the ICP, then total phosphate on the ICP is the same units that the checker is producing (but not necessarily exactly the same forms of P detected).

Otherwise, its like asking if I should pay attention to temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit. :)

Back