Finally got pics from the devastation

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is aweful!!! seems like power only goes out when your not around to take care of it!!

I will contibute as well. I have some palys/micros/acans. Get with me Dave and we can ship together saving him some $$

Kris Zmurk

zoo collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The winds caught us off guard. A few had generators and back-up power supplies. Most of them were "seasoned professionals". Now we all know what all happens when the pwer goes out and stays out for awhile. New lights were gonna be my next purchase, now it's a generator.

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a couple of tyree montis (rainbow is big enough to frag) and an ora blue tort and a small frag of blue polyp monti let us know me and rev can ship ours together so it is just one shipping cost. hope we can make up for some of this, you are doing a good thing.

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang....Thats brutal. I had some family watch my tank and they usually screw it up some way or another.....My brother doesn't understand fill the bucket with RO, just fills the sump.

I hire a LFS owner who maintained the Belle Isle aquarium now. I have some SPS I could send as well. You are one day, so shipping is min. I will send some frags when you are ready.

That bubble algae really went nuts in a short time.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got home yesterday and the good news is that it's not a total loss.

All the SPS are gone :( Honestly I think I'm just gonna forget about keeping them except for the plating Montiporas. The Superman and Sunset montis are the reason I got into SPS anyway and thankfully they shouldn't be too hard to find down the road.

All the Chalices are gone. Some of my favorites too, but way too much money for something that didn't make it through 24 hours of power outage when other things made it through a week.

All the Acans and Micromussas made it!! :) Only the orange echinata looks any worse for wear but the skeleton is budding out polyps from the centers. Same with the only Blasto I had in there, but I figured it was a goner after hearing power was out the second day.

Zoa/Paly wise it was a toss up. All the PEs made it and the Nukes and PDs. Small polyped zoas like the Tubs Blues were 50/50 but some look like they might make it. My favorites, the Armageddons I've had for over 2 years are gone, and their frag disc was just green slime when I got back. If I only replace one coral I lost, hopefully it's this one. I'll hit you up Rev when things are back on track but I've never been one for charity. Hopefully you don't have PPRPEs because I think that's the only uncommon thing I'll have to trade.

I'll get some pics up once I get the rest of this green slime algae cleaned up that is blanketing everything.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - - You are right up the road from me, I now live in Lebanon. You got some coral from me in the past (theaquaden) I will gladly give you some frags to help rebuild your reef. I only have two heads or Armageddons but willing to trade on. I like PPRPE's and dont have any at this time...... Again, I will gladly give you some frags to make up for your loss.
Gary

briansteenhoek

Warrior4Christ
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby and I can only imagine how you feel. I feel fro you and live in northern KY. I lost all power but was lucky to be one of the first to be restored. I heard a lot of peoples tanks crashed. If I had anything to give you I sure would. It is fantastic to see the support from these awesome members. Maybe once I have my reef up I can help with donations like the others. Sounds like you have a lot of support and that is encouraginging to see. I feel like I am in a close family. In Christ, Brian

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got you bro! as soon as your ready LMK ill frag you up some nice stuff you just pay shipping frags will be free i almost CRIED looking at that

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here she is after Hurricane Ike took out the power for a week in Ohio and killed off all the SPS and Chalices. My big Indo Acan colony got bleached out but otherwise is healthy and still eating well.

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

I guess I'm gonna get out of SPS except for plating Montiporas, so it's time to start hunting rare LPS again :)

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question... you have a 29 right? What koralia is that? I see you had such good success with SPS with it aimed at the opposite wall, not even at the corals. Hopefully I can figure out the best positioning for mine too

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did learn one thing after all this...Cyphastrea occellina is THE hardiest coral ever!

Before I left for Houston, I was having trouble with it keeping it's color since I was running a super low nutrient tank and it responded by turning light beige with pink polyps. Not only did it survive almost a week without power, it actually looks better! It got it's metallic green/blue sheen back and it's polyps regained that bright pink/red color.
And here I thought it would die in a day or two with the SPS...

Oh, and same goes for Duncanopsammias :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question... you have a 29 right? What koralia is that? I see you had such good success with SPS with it aimed at the opposite wall, not even at the corals. Hopefully I can figure out the best positioning for mine too

Nope, that's an AquaPod 12 gallon. That's a Koralia 2, and I don't aim it at any of the corals, just against the glass so the tanks water has a whirlpool type current.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon

We got really lucky. Only went without power for about 7 hours here in my area of Central Ohio. Some close by weren't so lucky. A week or more there too. :( Had a few frags bleach out, and lost a purple polyp birdsnest frag, but that was all.

Sorry you got hit so bad.

Larry

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, that's an AquaPod 12 gallon. That's a Koralia 2, and I don't aim it at any of the corals, just against the glass so the tanks water has a whirlpool type current.

Ah ok, it looks so much bigger than it is because the colonies look very full. Ive never actually seen a full colony in person, so its tough to judge.

OP
OP
jonbar1

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon

We got really lucky. Only went without power for about 7 hours here in my area of Central Ohio. Some close by weren't so lucky. A week or more there too. :( Had a few frags bleach out, and lost a purple polyp birdsnest frag, but that was all.

Sorry you got hit so bad.

Larry

I'll get a couple favias from you at the swap to help me get back on track ;)
(I'm Jon in SW Ohio) on the local forums)

See ya Saturday

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the flow so that it hit from one corner of the tank, towards the opposite corner, diagonally across the tank. Now its from one corner shooting across the length of the tank, at the middle of a wall. The polyps on my Birdsnest are a good indicator, and it was like catchin a couple nice gusts, then has a break in it. Millepora looked happy :)

Thanks Jon, best of luck to your tank. Im sure youll keep us updated

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a couple favias from you at the swap to help me get back on track ;)
(I'm Jon in SW Ohio) on the local forums)

See ya Saturday

Ya, I recognized the name. ;) See ya Saturday at the Cincinnati swap. Should be some nice stuff available. Run out on fragswapper if you get a chance and request the items you want. That way you are on my list and I can put a couple nice ones back.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back