Finally making the leap to saltwater with an IM 40!

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 2 freshwater tanks but found myself always looking up saltwater tank videos. So I started doing hours of research and hours of binge watching YouTube videos (BRS, MyFirstFishTank,Mr Saltwater Tank) and finally decided on the IM 40.
But I just couldn’t see myself paying that amount for their stand, so I built one out myself. As far as the equipment and what not, im still piecing it together slowly.

Now as far as the fun stuff….I’m looking for some opinions on a few things!
Light- xr30 blue (good deal on facebook)
Return pump- stock one for now, will replace soon, I was looking at the Sicce Silent 3.0.
Flow- looking at adding the spin nozzles on the 2 returns along with a AI Nero 3, thoughts?
Sand- caribsea fiji pink
Rockwork- 40lbs of caribsea Dry liverock
Skimmer- I think I’m gonna hold off on one for now
ATO-open to suggestions!

One question I do have is, what does everyone put between the stand and the actual aquarium? For sure gonna do the foam mat, anything under that ?
Thanks!
Can’t wait to update you guys next!

5DBEF9FD-BDD6-49E3-B7F4-3D46CECBB7EC.jpeg D7BA78FB-3039-41B6-9DFE-443E93EAE419.jpeg

Last edited:

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the stand. The foam mat is a must and I would make sure it's level. Radion is a good choice of light. I've never ran a tank without a skimmer though I'm sure you could get away without one atleast in the beginning. I have the fiji pink sand in my tank wich is only four months old and it kind of blows around so depending on how much flow you want that's something to think about. Your well on your way to have a good reef tank.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put two of the spin streams in my IM 30L. They’re pretty cool but if you’re keeping sps you’ll definitely need additional flow from something else. They restrict the flow quite a bit so i turned my mighty jet up to full speed. They make a clicking sound as the gear turns, not loud but noticeable if you’re standing at the tank.
speaking of which, the mighty jet is a good controllable DC pump and is actually silent. The Sicce are not controllable and are definitely not silent. I don’t see a good benefit by changing it. it’s better to add more flow with a powerhead inside the tank in my opinion. Also the more flow going through the baffles in the back chamber makes the entire system louder.

Dry rock makes everything take forever. the ugly stage lasts months and blah blah. i’d suggest adding at least a few pounds of real ocean live rock from KP aquatics or elsewhere to see the tank with life. speeds up the maturation process and makes it a real ecosystem with pods and other beneficial life.
All my rock cam from them and i had anemone and sps after one month. all still thriving three months later. it makes a big difference. if you’re looking for a good skimmer that fits in the chamber, check out the one in my post history by Cadlights. it’s a real skimmer that works great. not a dinky nano skimmer like most that barely do anything.

Well, that’s my ted talk haha. good luck, have fun.

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job on the stand. The foam mat is a must and I would make sure it's level. Radion is a good choice of light. I've never ran a tank without a skimmer though I'm sure you could get away without one atleast in the beginning. I have the fiji pink sand in my tank wich is only four months old and it kind of blows around so depending on how much flow you want that's something to think about. Your well on your way to have a good reef tank.
I will for sure be running a skimmer eventually, but I had read a few other threads that mentioned not running one during the initial setup just because it’s not really worth so I figured save a couple bucks in the beginning.

also, that’s good to know about the Fiji, so maybe something a little heavier since I do plan on having a decent amount of flow in the long run.
Thanks!

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put two of the spin streams in my IM 30L. They’re pretty cool but if you’re keeping sps you’ll definitely need additional flow from something else. They restrict the flow quite a bit so i turned my mighty jet up to full speed. They make a clicking sound as the gear turns, not loud but noticeable if you’re standing at the tank.
speaking of which, the mighty jet is a good controllable DC pump and is actually silent. The Sicce are not controllable and are definitely not silent. I don’t see a good benefit by changing it. it’s better to add more flow with a powerhead inside the tank in my opinion. Also the more flow going through the baffles in the back chamber makes the entire system louder.

Dry rock makes everything take forever. the ugly stage lasts months and blah blah. i’d suggest adding at least a few pounds of real ocean live rock from KP aquatics or elsewhere to see the tank with life. speeds up the maturation process and makes it a real ecosystem with pods and other beneficial life.
All my rock cam from them and i had anemone and sps after one month. all still thriving three months later. it makes a big difference. if you’re looking for a good skimmer that fits in the chamber, check out the one in my post history by Cadlights. it’s a real skimmer that works great. not a dinky nano skimmer like most that barely do anything.

Well, that’s my ted talk haha. good luck, have fun.
To start Im just going to have LPS and softies but later down the road i think i might throw some SPS in, we shall see.
I didnt even think about the Sicce being uncontrollable, so thank you. I will just stick with mightyjet until i need to worry about it. Yay! saving money!

This is now the second time ive heard about KP aquatics in the past week, so now i feel more comfortable about using them. Also just found out that they are located pretty close to me.... I wonder if i could pick it up.hmmm, thanks for that! I havent even received the tank yet and im already dreading the ugly stages! Speaking of, should i even run my light while cycling?

And I will for sure go check out the cadlights.

Thanks

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stand! You can't go wrong with radions. I used AI Prime for my 200xl (about same size) pired with the Nero 5 just to have them all on the same ap. If you go with Nero I reccome d get the bigger 5vs the 3. I last minute decided on the 5 and it does a wonderful job. When I get ready for water changes I run it up to 100% and it stirs everything up to help me collect it. Just my .02. I look forward to watching this build!

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome stand! You can't go wrong with radions. I used AI Prime for my 200xl (about same size) pired with the Nero 5 just to have them all on the same ap. If you go with Nero I reccome d get the bigger 5vs the 3. I last minute decided on the 5 and it does a wonderful job. When I get ready for water changes I run it up to 100% and it stirs everything up to help me collect it. Just my .02. I look forward to watching this build!
Thanks!
Yea.. i figured the one thing i should go cheap on was the light...so i shopped around and ended up finding a good deal on a local facebook group, only 3 months old!
Awesome to hear about the Nero, and will more than likely end up with the 5!
I cant wait to get it all up and running

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Yea.. i figured the one thing i should go cheap on was the light...so i shopped around and ended up finding a good deal on a local facebook group, only 3 months old!
Awesome to hear about the Nero, and will more than likely end up with the 5!
I cant wait to get it all up and running
Absolutley. Hurry up and take your time is the name of the game lol

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get live rock, you won’t need to cycle and should run the light to sustain the good coralline algae. If you do dead rock then you should keep the light off initially while it cycles.

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank should be arriving on the 30th!

now ordering some last minute things….what’s everyone’s favorite salts? And what test kits would you recommend I get?

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s here!
Came home from a boat trip to a nice shipment! Innovative marine, BRS and Intank all did a stellar job packing and shipping!
Now just waiting on my rock to get delivered so I can start working on my rockscape.

Attachments

• 36AEE9DB-35F7-4E30-A12F-840C8FC4EED0.jpeg
    36AEE9DB-35F7-4E30-A12F-840C8FC4EED0.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 37

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank I started with and great choice
it was used and came with a gen 4, and have since upgraded to a 5
2 MP10s seem to work perfect and a in the back skimmer
nice stand and sure you will like it

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TM pro, good quality for the money and mixes best of any I have had
starting out nitrate is important and Nyos is my favorite - Red Sea calcium, salifert Mg and Hanna Alk
My tank should be arriving on the 30th!

now ordering some last minute things….what’s everyone’s favorite salts? And what test kits would you recommend I get?

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank I started with and great choice
it was used and came with a gen 4, and have since upgraded to a 5
2 MP10s seem to work perfect and a in the back skimmer
nice stand and sure you will like it
What skimmer are you running ??

OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light mounted!
Along with 20lbs of caribsea, waiting for another 20lbs to get here then I can really play with the scape

Attachments

• EC6E928A-6711-4B53-A2CC-17D5FFF57FEA.jpeg
    EC6E928A-6711-4B53-A2CC-17D5FFF57FEA.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 32
  • D9844BF2-AD30-4576-8304-20514744D9FB.jpeg
    D9844BF2-AD30-4576-8304-20514744D9FB.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I ended up with in the tank!
gonna add sand and water tomorrow morning and start this bad boy goinnng!

Attachments

• 7124AA43-D28D-466D-A03D-BFCD8AE0A2F8.jpeg
    7124AA43-D28D-466D-A03D-BFCD8AE0A2F8.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
DreadedReefer95

DreadedReefer95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some fish in! Mocha Frostbite clowns, Mermaid Ma’am and Barnacle Boy!
Also….tips on taking pics of these quick little guys?!
8C2BDD8B-D7B9-4592-B471-A14E3A37725C.jpeg D918958A-44FD-466C-8D7D-FE397FB16AF4.jpeg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back