Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but it took a rip clean of the tank and replacement with a bigger one!

The tank those readings were in had failing seals on the bowfront. Without a full rip clean they would have never come down though. Sand was loaded with years of gunk and rock pores filled. New tank runs high as well but manageably high and the corals don't mind it go neither do I.
When you changed out the aquarium did you clean your sand or get new sand? If you don't mind me asking what are your nitrates now? TBH For a long time I was running nitrates around 80ppm (I dont do water changes). Like you, recently, I upgraded my display, did a 100% water change and used the old water to clean my sand. Started running a refugium and dosed plenty of AquaVitro's Seed and now have been sitting at .10 or lower. Obviously everyone's system is different... Hope everything is going well. Any new pix of the new display? Ever heard of the Reefers Moonshine Theory? Was life changing for me and my tank.... Heres a pic of my new display :)

Attachments

• 20210411_211545.jpg
    20210411_211545.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you changed out the aquarium did you clean your sand or get new sand? If you don't mind me asking what are your nitrates now? TBH For a long time I was running nitrates around 80ppm (I dont do water changes). Like you, recently, I upgraded my display, did a 100% water change and used the old water to clean my sand. Started running a refugium and dosed plenty of AquaVitro's Seed and now have been sitting at .10 or lower. Obviously everyone's system is different... Hope everything is going well. Any new pix of the new display? Ever heard of the Reefers Moonshine Theory? Was life changing for me and my tank.... Heres a pic of my new display :)
When I tore both the bowfront and 120g down, I pulled out all sand. Bf is bare bottom hospital tank currently and new sand was put into the 120 DT. I did rinse about 10 gallons of sand and realized that process sucks.

Last week nitrates were sitting in the 45 range. I have not heard of the reefers moonshine theory but it sounds like something up my alley on a long weekend.

Here's a few recent FTS's from the last little bit.
PXL_20210526_030215401.MP.jpg
PXL_20210519_222308951.MP.jpg

Very nice display. What LAMP are you running?

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tore both the bowfront and 120g down, I pulled out all sand. Bf is bare bottom hospital tank currently and new sand was put into the 120 DT. I did rinse about 10 gallons of sand and realized that process sucks.

Last week nitrates were sitting in the 45 range. I have not heard of the reefers moonshine theory but it sounds like something up my alley on a long weekend.

Here's a few recent FTS's from the last little bit.
Very nice display. What LAMP are you running?
LOL Cleaning the sand sucks but a $ saver. My sand also hadn't been ran for years and years like yours. So, hard to blame you.

Your display looks amazing!!! Everything looks happy! Nitrates at 45ppm really isn't as terrible as it sounds, especially if you dropped from 80 to 45ppm your corals are probably super happy lol. However I bet if you can knock it down even more it would be that much better. Funny, I used to freak if my Nitrates hit 10 but looking back it was a lack of experience in this area that scared me. I was searching for every solution but nothing seemed to work for me. I bought a Cheato reactor which worked but imo not nearly as well as the refugium I now run. Changed out my ceramic bio balls, started carbon dosing vodka (created Cyano bloom) and moved to Vinegar (I recently stopped dosing, no need for it anymore). Got a slightly larger skimmer when I upgraded my display, dosed a few bottles of AquaVitro Seed, did the 100% water change (I moved into a new house at the same time I upgraded my display, or else I wouldn't of made a water change.)

The reason I don't do water changes is because I'm running the Reefers Moonshine Method. You can find out all about it on Facebooks "Reefers Moonshine Support Group". Its similar to the Triton method where instead of water changes to replenish elements soaked up from coral, I'll send out an ATI ICP test which will test all 47 elements in the water. Once the lab is finished with the results I load them into the RMT Calculator which will then guide me what elements need to be dosed, how much to dose for how many days. Repeat every month, bimonthly, etc whatever works best for the user. If you look through the FB forum you will see tons and tons of people running the method and killing it. It is a little pricey to get started on the Moonshine Theory but worth every single penny and I try to tell everyone about it. It really changed the game for me!!! Check it out!!! Oh and no water changes!!! Best part of it lol By not doing changes I'm able to keeps Temp, Alk, Salinity, & PH waaaaaaaaaaaay more consistent than ever before. No more accidentally "shocking" the system....

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL Cleaning the sand sucks but a $ saver. My sand also hadn't been ran for years and years like yours. So, hard to blame you.

Your display looks amazing!!! Everything looks happy! Nitrates at 45ppm really isn't as terrible as it sounds, especially if you dropped from 80 to 45ppm your corals are probably super happy lol. However I bet if you can knock it down even more it would be that much better. Funny, I used to freak if my Nitrates hit 10 but looking back it was a lack of experience in this area that scared me. I was searching for every solution but nothing seemed to work for me. I bought a Cheato reactor which worked but imo not nearly as well as the refugium I now run. Changed out my ceramic bio balls, started carbon dosing vodka (created Cyano bloom) and moved to Vinegar (I recently stopped dosing, no need for it anymore). Got a slightly larger skimmer when I upgraded my display, dosed a few bottles of AquaVitro Seed, did the 100% water change (I moved into a new house at the same time I upgraded my display, or else I wouldn't of made a water change.)

The reason I don't do water changes is because I'm running the Reefers Moonshine Method. You can find out all about it on Facebooks "Reefers Moonshine Support Group". Its similar to the Triton method where instead of water changes to replenish elements soaked up from coral, I'll send out an ATI ICP test which will test all 47 elements in the water. Once the lab is finished with the results I load them into the RMT Calculator which will then guide me what elements need to be dosed, how much to dose for how many days. Repeat every month, bimonthly, etc whatever works best for the user. If you look through the FB forum you will see tons and tons of people running the method and killing it. It is a little pricey to get started on the Moonshine Theory but worth every single penny and I try to tell everyone about it. It really changed the game for me!!! Check it out!!! Oh and no water changes!!! Best part of it lol By not doing changes I'm able to keeps Temp, Alk, Salinity, & PH waaaaaaaaaaaay more consistent than ever before. No more accidentally "shocking" the system....

Firstly thank you very much for the compliment. Always appreciated to hear from others. I'm normally my worst critic.

Now that you're talking about it I actually think that @Reefing_addiction is going through the same preliminary ICP testing in order to start the moonshine method. We were discussing it some last week. I'm not on FB so can't access most of that information easily but to be honest, I don't chase numbers. I try to stay in sinc with the animals in my tank and let them tell me if something is wrong. I've got a few canary corals in the I can always look to. The big ol bubble is one of them. If anything starts to slide, the bubble reacts pretty quickly.

The method is certainly flawed as reacting means the params have already moved slightly but I am disciplined about my maintenance routine.

I don't really mind doing water changes and cleaning filter socks. It's part of my Saturday morning routine. Put some music on, get in the groove.

I'm very much looking forward to ending the fallow period On my display tank. The refugium section in my sump is currently housing most of my frags. I had to switch out the kessil fuge light for one of my backup Chinese black boxes for the corals.

The cheato is kind of just stuck in the corner. I'll have to reseed macro when the time comes. Maybe even beg a care package out of Mr @Eagle_Steve . He's got all the good stuff.

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks and sounds like you got things under control! You're right though, chasing numbers is nothing but a headache and cause of anxiety. I try not to be that guy, even though atm Im chasing a 8.3 ph for ultimate coral growth. I live in Florida where 99% of the time Ive got out windows closed and have a higher than normal co2 reading. lol

Like you I enjoyed my Saturday water changes until my son started playing baseball which practice stole my maintenance time however due to my personal experience of RFT being the bees knees I don't ever see myself going back to my old days of making my own water and doing water changes. I have managed to save a lot of time, money on salts, cleaning up after myself, etc. RFT has been a blessing! But, again to each their own and hey... if it aint broke, why try to fix it? But, if you ever want to "elevate" things I swear on my life it really works :) lol Ok... starting to sound like a salesman lol

Your bubble has to be the biggest bubble Ive ever seen lol. I thought mine was big lol

Im running 60" Aquatic Life fixture with 4x80w T5's ATI Deep Blue w/ 4x Radion XR15 Pro Gen 4. Run might lights for 10 hours w/ only 4 hours T5. Running par of 250 on sand bed with pars in the 600s from the middle of the tank on up during the T5 hours.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks and sounds like you got things under control! You're right though, chasing numbers is nothing but a headache and cause of anxiety. I try not to be that guy, even though atm Im chasing a 8.3 ph for ultimate coral growth. I live in Florida where 99% of the time Ive got out windows closed and have a higher than normal co2 reading. lol

Like you I enjoyed my Saturday water changes until my son started playing baseball which practice stole my maintenance time however due to my personal experience of RFT being the bees knees I don't ever see myself going back to my old days of making my own water and doing water changes. I have managed to save a lot of time, money on salts, cleaning up after myself, etc. RFT has been a blessing! But, again to each their own and hey... if it aint broke, why try to fix it? But, if you ever want to "elevate" things I swear on my life it really works :) lol Ok... starting to sound like a salesman lol

Your bubble has to be the biggest bubble Ive ever seen lol. I thought mine was big lol

Im running 60" Aquatic Life fixture with 4x80w T5's ATI Deep Blue w/ 4x Radion XR15 Pro Gen 4. Run might lights for 10 hours w/ only 4 hours T5. Running par of 250 on sand bed with pars in the 600s from the middle of the tank on up during the T5 hours.
This is me having things under control..
Chicken Pants GIF

The tank looks great. Where's your main thread? Do you have a build thread I can follow?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back