Finger leathers really a beginner/easy to keep coral?

VegetarianSkunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the reef hobby coming 2 years now, but somehow finger leathers/colt corals just aren't working out personally.

The latest frag of colt that I bought did decently well for a month or two, albeit it had sheded quite excessively, around once a week. Decided to drop in some reefspec carbon 2 weeks ago which had good effects since it stopped shedding as much and fully extended more readily. It grew a little until a couple days ago where it has since shivelled up and now some of it's tips are black; I'm assuming its necrosis. Tank perimeters are on point and stable, nitrates sitting at 10ppm and phosphates between 0.05-0.1ppm, only that temperature sits slightly higher than the recommended range, at around 80F. Everything else is doing better than ever, even the toadstool leather is growing pretty well.

So I'm unsure as to where things are going wrong. Temperature too high?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They’re fairly hardy and really only require good water quality and moderate light and water flow

OP
OP
V

VegetarianSkunk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibility of light burn? I have it placed 8" below the water surface, ai prime 16hd over a 1.5' area.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bunch of finger corals, it keeps dropping frags and I often have to pull some out, but I keep them mid to bottom of the tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back