Sun Coral Help/Dying

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never could keep the softie nps like carnations or the blueberry gorgs or other nps gorgs long term. They need very specific foods almost all day for

long term health. I did have pretty good luck with a corkscrew coral (form of black coral) about a year and a half before I got out last time. I was told it was photo synthetic. There was very little good info on the internet about it. Turns out not photo synthetic Got some algae on it and fragged it to save it into two pieces, I put it in the 90 nps tank and started feeding it chopped mysis and oyster eggs. Grew like gang busters. I tried the same stuff with the nps gorgs but they would slowly wither. I think you have more choices of foods now that may help. Someone on r2r has a very nice nps tank and from what I remember is quite knowledgeable also. Search them out maybe.
Ok thanks for your insight. My nps are in a mixed reef so it isn’t that easy to to feed consistently for obvious reasons I might have to set up a nano nps tank and automatic water changes I thinking a water box cube 10 or 20. How long did your carnations live for before they died?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some on the sand bed. Low flow. Mine did take several weeks to adjust, but do fine.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for your insight. My nps are in a mixed reef so it isn’t that easy to to feed consistently for obvious reasons I might have to set up a nano nps tank and automatic water changes I thinking a water box cube 10 or 20. How long did your carnations live for before they died?
A couple months for the first couple but the last one I had lasted about a year. Non photo gorgs I tried maybe 6m-1y. Some of these were in standard reef tanks though The last was in nps 90g.

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a frag plug they sometimes have a tube that comes out of the bottom. If you can cut that off with bolt cutters so the underside of the plug is all flush then you maybe able to glue it.
Unfortunately but fortunately it's just too big and flat to fit in the arch. I think it likes where it's currently at so imma leave it there for now. It's stopped spewing and is puffy again.

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need to be very careful. I used to remove most corals from their plugs less chance of getting unwanted things in your reef. Bone cutters, flathead screwdriver by itself or tap it gently with a hammer. Try holding on to the frag not the plug you dont care about the plug.
Im going to leave it for now. Don't It want to hurt the little fella. It seems to enjoy where it's at currently and I'm going to slowly increase lighting over the next 1-2 months.

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try breaking it off but you may damage the coral. If you do, use coral/bone cutters and break the glue holding it
Unrelated but; I removed the leathers and the goby since the little guy kept swimming into the filter chambers and couldn't get out. He's done it twice in a 12 hour span so into the pico he goes until he outgrows it. I think he likes it better without other fish anyways.

The sun coral stopped spewing yellow and is starting to get puffy again. Hopefully it decides to open soon they're so pretty. I cut the light by 92% and I'm going to slowly increase it over 1-2 months. If it doesn't like the light I'll figure out how to alter the base.

Attachments

• 20240114_191851.jpg
    20240114_191851.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240114_191739.jpg
    20240114_191739.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 25

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is very slow growing and actually has 2 more heads now, but it took a month or 2 to adjust

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying a method of putting them in a jug and feeding them on their own. That way I can make a soup of foods and it doesn’t pollute the tank. Has anyone had any luck with this method?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying a method of putting them in a jug and feeding them on their own. That way I can make a soup of foods and it doesn’t pollute the tank. Has anyone had any luck with this method?
Wow those look like large colonies compared to mine lol. Mine prefer to just be left alone and get extra upset when I move them to out them in a seperate darkened container

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those look like large colonies compared to mine lol. Mine prefer to just be left alone and get extra upset when I move them to out them in a seperate darkened container
Same it turns out I had luck putting them in line with the return. They love the flow like crazy

OP
OP
K

Kiui1849

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same it turns out I had luck putting them in line with the return. They love the flow like crazy
Interesting. I wish I had a good spot for mine in strong current. Unfortunately the only rock with the best current has a xenia or anthelia growth on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back