Fingers crossed, ending Aiptasia war

curiouser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed Three great Big Berghia in my tank yesterday. My LFS had them at 3 for $42 and in hopes this is resolved for once. was 4 years aptasia free and bought coral from a private party and dipped and still mange to get them in my tank. Man, can they multiply quickly!!! I even have a wand
and stung them, and they were right back the next day.

I'm not aware of any dip for rock with coral on it that kills aiptasia. If you know of such a dip please share with us. I'm talking about a dip to use before placing new rock with coral in the tank. I believe bayer , coralRx do not kill aiptasia.
Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not aware of any dip for rock with coral on it that kills aiptasia. If you know of such a dip please share with us. I'm talking about a dip to use before placing new rock with coral in the tank. I believe bayer , coralRx do not kill aiptasia.
Thanks
Not an aptasia dip. What i meant was i cleaned rock and never saw them, yet they appeared.

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume my 6 line would turn these guys into an expensive snack.

I may grab a copperband and see what happens.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Copperband- great fish once eating.

Tix0l

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever watched game of thrones? Aiptasias are like white walkers - u think u have wiped them out, but after a few seasons they will return in numbers

Im planning on starting a new system with dry rock and no aiptasias introduced from my tank.

Tried berghia nudis, hot water and other methods, nothing really worked. Ill enjoy taking out all liverock and drying these ****ers, while i’m having a pint of budweiser ;)

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unleash the Berghia of war......on its way to lunch in my nano

FB_IMG_1511555648395.jpg

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge infestation in my 210 gallon main display. Nothing worked until I assembled an aiptasia killing team of one copperband butterfly, 3 file fish and 12 peppermint. At first, did not look like anyone was eating the aiptasia. Then over a 2 week period of time, none were left. Now the CBB eats out of my hand.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously had success with a matted file fish, but for some reason it decided to stop eating the aiptasia and they are really proliferating in my 150g reef. My smaller 75g reef has a Klein's butterfly and not a single visible aiptasis. I just bought a Kleins, 2 copperbanded butteflies and a green scat for my 150g. Let's see how that goes after they clear quarantine.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added bergias about 2 weeks ago to my 90. They eradicated 1 rock fairly quickly but I have not noticed aptasia being eaten on connecting rocks. I hope they are still alive and just searching. Still have plenty of aptasia for them to eat.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things are stealthy or dead they disappeared in refugium but will be patient maybe will start moving some chaeto so i know there not sleepong on the job

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the berghia but once I introduced them to the tank, I never saw them again. I also read that some people had their infestation return once the berghia had died. Aiptasia remained in the overflows or some other place out of reach for the nudis.

I have not had any aiptasia return. If they pop up, the killing crew gets them before I see them. So the copperband, file fish and shrimp fit my tank as they can survive whereas the nudis can't.

My infestation was really bad too. I did not think anything would work until I added the combination of killers listed above. And I never observed any of the hired hit men in action. They must have been very active after the lights went out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I previously had success with a matted file fish, but for some reason it decided to stop eating the aiptasia and they are really proliferating in my 150g reef. My smaller 75g reef has a Klein's butterfly and not a single visible aiptasis. I just bought a Kleins, 2 copperbanded butteflies and a green scat for my 150g. Let's see how that goes after they clear quarantine.

Wow, the marine aquarium Armed forces !!

77374810001_2929844796001_video-still-for-video-2929766786001.jpg

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for good measure, I just ordered 10 captive bred peppermint shrimp from Algae Barn that are supposed to love aiptasia. If this doesn't get rid of them, I will have to take rocks out and deal with them individually. I hope to avoid that!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
And for good measure, I just ordered 10 captive bred peppermint shrimp from Algae Barn that are supposed to love aiptasia. If this doesn't get rid of them, I will have to take rocks out and deal with them individually. I hope to avoid that!
Ten is a small army. I have to imagine, this will conquer the issue

lawofficeaquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in the tank. My experience is the fish and crustaceans get to the berghia before the berghia can do much damage to the aptasia.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pretty bad infestation in my 75g. Added a total of 16 nudi and was skeptical they'd last with a Melanurus in the tank, 3 months later all the aptasia were gone.

Back