Fingers crossed, ending Aiptasia war

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been battling Aiptasia since my rookie years of not dipping. I've tried all methods and found Peppermint shrimp to be very effective but not completely able to permanently eradicate in my system. The one problem I kept having though was the peppermints at some point would end up chewing the stomachs of my Blasto's and Acans, Blasto's mostly.

I went with Reeftown and he suggested 9 mediums for my situation. They were shipped and packed very well, I used Walgreens as my FedEx pick up location (I didn't know they did that but they do!). Today's day one and I hope they don't waste time finding their food! After about 2 years of alternate methods, this is my last shot of hope, fingers crossed.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Some of my blasto's I'm protecting. Lost a few gem's to the shrimp in the past, these are few of what's left.
5.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

Shipping package:
jhi00.jpg

The Army:
hii.jpg

Please work, please

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will work. It will take a bit of time, but they will do the job. Please make sure you place them beside and not atop the glass anemone.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They will work. It will take a bit of time, but they will do the job. Please make sure you place them beside and not atop the glass anemone.
I set up the jar as close to some nem's as possible. I have one rouge and 8 unable to locate at the moment.

Do the Nudi's crawl over sand beds? If not I'll have to move some rocks so they can climb onto some coral islands I have on the floor.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that after these nudibranchs have eaten all of the aptasia that they often can be seen roaming across the glass in search of more food. I would plan to pass them on to another reefer who has the aptasia problem once they have finished feasting in your tank. Otherwise, they will starve.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have heard that after these nudibranchs have eaten all of the aptasia that they often can be seen roaming across the glass in search of more food. I would plan to pass them on to another reefer who has the aptasia problem once they have finished feasting in your tank. Otherwise, they will starve.
Thanks and I’m hoping to put the first few i can grab in my overflow just in case, then if I can get more I know just the person that could use a few.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just placed Three great Big Berghia in my tank yesterday. My LFS had them at 3 for $42 and in hopes this is resolved for once. was 4 years aptasia free and bought coral from a private party and dipped and still mange to get them in my tank. Man, can they multiply quickly!!! I even have a wand
and stung them, and they were right back the next day.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I even have a wand
and stung them, and they were right back the next day.

That just seems to make babies sometimes. I tried various things like Kalk, Apt-X as well and though sometimes the Aptasia would die, more would appear near it. These Nudi's are cleaning house!

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see them in the tank(berghia)? I put half doz in refugium and have not seem them, been over a week, wondering how stealthy they are

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you see them in the tank(berghia)? I put half doz in refugium and have not seem them, been over a week, wondering how stealthy they are

Saw them for about 5 mins and that was that. Then again i have so much coral they could be anywhere

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I only saw one for the first day out of 9. Haven't seen one since,even checked a time or two late at night. Got worried but the Aptasia disappear each day.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leadfooted, your tank looks amazing.

Yeah, those little critters will eat the glass anemone as if there's no tomorrow. Line someone up who has Aptasia so they will be able to continue to live.

I donated mine to someone with a tank full when they took care of my issue many years back and they kept the ball rolling by sending them to someone else after their problem was gone.

OP
OP
Leadfooted

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leadfooted, your tank looks amazing.

Yeah, those little critters will eat the glass anemone as if there's no tomorrow. Line someone up who has Aptasia so they will be able to continue to live.

I donated mine to someone with a tank full when they took care of my issue many years back and they kept the ball rolling by sending them to someone else after their problem was gone.
Thanks Capt! My Blue's are on now and I can see the last few Glass nem's are gone. Possibly a few left that I couldn't see but they wont last long. I'll start looking for them on my glass and I'm going to post your suggestion. Maybe these can help someone else, if not I'll take to my LFS who's a big help to me.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Once in a blue moon, you will see one on the glass otherwise from those who have them, I was told the aptasia will vanish one by one

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fought aiptasia for years..... only thing that worked for me was killing off the med to large sized ones.... then adding a Copperband Butterfly.

A CBB will only eat baby Aiptasia bc med to large ones stings them. Baby ones they pluck right off the LR.

If you kill off all med to large ones with Kalk paste or AipX or JoesJuice.... a CBB can have your tank Aip free in about 2mos

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 months ago, I ordered 10 and got free eggs as a bonus. I put them in per instructions and never saw them again. Aptasia continues on.

I'm going to try that lemon juice trick. I have some syringes for the first time in years after some medication that was prescribed.

CWMorrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One person I know said that the aiptasia eat the nudibranchs. The guy who wrote the book on raising bergias recommends cutting the tentacles off before feeding aiptasia to the bergia.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back