Finnex heater controller w/Apex

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Finnex 820M heater controller to serve as an auxiliary controller for my heaters. On the web site (both Finnex’s and BRS’s) they state it’s not compatible with the Apex controller series but give no other rationale. Does anyone have any more insight on this? My thought is I’ll plug it in to to an Apex outlet, have the Finnex controller set at 77º and have the Apex turn off the outlet if the temps get above 80º. Used in this fashion, the Apex outlet would essentially be a regular outlet, on all the time so it shouldn’t matter to the controller.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Finnex 820M heater controller to serve as an auxiliary controller for my heaters. On the web site (both Finnex’s and BRS’s) they state it’s not compatible with the Apex controller series but give no other rationale. Does anyone have any more insight on this? My thought is I’ll plug it in to to an Apex outlet, have the Finnex controller set at 77º and have the Apex turn off the outlet if the temps get above 80º. Used in this fashion, the Apex outlet would essentially be a regular outlet, on all the time so it shouldn’t matter to the controller.
What you suggest is fine, and good practice.
They might be referring to using the apex to control the heat, ie switch the finnex on/off, a bad idea. Or that the apex cannot send set points down to the finnex.

OP
OP
Sleepydoc

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it isn't designed to have the power cycled on and off repeatedly like you would if the Apex were primary and the Finnex were backup. My EB832 is on the fritz so for the time being the Apex isn't even an issue. :/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back