Fire Clown development question?

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awhile back I got a fairly large fire clown that had been turned into the LFS for cheap. It's about 4" long. Wanting to try and pair it up with another fire clown I decided they would be better in my 125 than my cube. I got a deal on a small fire clown from my LFS(they ordered too many and just wanted them gone) and introduced it to the 125. My intention was to get a large bubble tip established before adding the adult(she's really aggressively friendly with nems and will not give a new one a chance to get settled. Fast forward and it's been over a year and the juvenile clown is about 1.25-1.5" now and it's been the only clown for around 2 years. So as I'm working on getting a small BTA to grow big enough for the large clown, I'm now concerned the juvenile has already transitioned to a female.

What say the clownfish experts? Am I correct that it is too late to attempt to pair these two?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as one clown in smaller than the other you should be okay. Best to use an acclimation box to help out with aggression

OP
OP
fermentedhiker

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as one clown in smaller than the other you should be okay. Best to use an acclimation box to help out with aggression
My concern is that the smaller clown being by itself for so long may have already transitioned to female as I understand it once they become female they can't change back.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that the smaller clown being by itself for so long may have already transitioned to female as I understand it once they become female they can't change back.
It’s a misconception that juvenile clowns are male. They aren’t male or female, they’re gender neutral. They will remain that way until they become either the dominant female or the breeding male (which could later transition to female under the right circumstances). A solitary clown can tends to mature as female.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back